Heritage Turkey Housing

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
I am planning on turkeys next spring and I would love to see how you guys house your flocks. Want to build a turkey house this summer. Post some pics of your turkey houses please!

Also a couple questions. Do you have a covered run or do you clip their wings? Can you home them like guineas for a few weeks who will then free range in the day and coop up at night? Truly appreciate any insight.

Most of my pens are netted roofed for my Heritage turkeys. Mainly for predator's but also young birds and some hens will fly over fencing. Especially when hens want to nest and find a secluded spot to hide nest. So all my breeding pens have netted roofs. My main very large fenced pen is not covered and I also have a large pasture for them to use. Mostly keep my older toms that I keep for breeding in large open pen never have trouble with them jumping or flying over fence. Once they know where home is (Food and Water, Safety) that is where they want to be for the most part. I have never clipped wings on any of my birds. Also they don't like to roost in buildings mine have access to a 3 walled building with roosts and they have never used it. My roosts are mostly covered not all. As long as they have cover from wind and plenty of shade they stay outdoors all the time. Never had any luck with my birds going into a coop or building on there own at night unless I make them and I gave up on that along time ago. Only exceptions to this is for poults not feathered out. They go out to open grow out IMG_0047.jpg
IMG_0044.jpg
IMG_0063.JPG
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0081.JPG
pens around 8 weeks old unless they are being raised by mother hens.

I am planning on turkeys next spring and I would love to see how you guys house your flocks. Want to build a turkey house this summer. Post some pics of your turkey houses please!

Also a couple questions. Do you have a covered run or do you clip their wings? Can you home them like guineas for a few weeks who will then free range in the day and coop up at night? Truly appreciate any insight.
AFD6D901-B3E1-4648-9EA7-8A19F1145EA1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom