Heritage White Dorking Thread

This male has made the cut so far down to 5 males. Not my best male as of right now.

Best or not, he's a Dorking--not simply by genetic hopes but by fact of form. That is a White Dorking.

Edited to add: I say that because this is what we need. We need to develop a gene pool of birds that are clearly White Dorkings, hopefully involved in multiple programs, such that our collective efforts lead to an American population that reproduces reliably and with genetic diversity and stability.

Edited, again to add, if he's not your best, your best are coming along then ;-)

Last edited:
Well, you want to inspire... I have narrowed down my breed preferences and think that I would like to focus on Dorkings. They're the top pick at this point anyway. Do any of you breeders sell hatching eggs?

Well, you want to inspire... I have narrowed down my breed preferences and think that I would like to focus on Dorkings. They're the top pick at this point anyway. Do any of you breeders sell hatching eggs?
No, no, no. You want started birds. Or breeder birds which are being retired this year and still have a season or 2 left in them. Jwhip and Yellow House farm have lovely birds.
They are the only white Dorking folk I really know. Pay the extra for these birds. It will pay long dividends in the last analysis.
Not only will you get known quality, you will also redeem a lot of time and be on track to hatch chicks with the rest of us this next Spring.
Best,
Karen
Plus, you get to spend the winter getting to know your birds and the breed and any breed specific management techniques.

Last edited:
Perhaps... :)

Sooooo, how do I proceed?

My GUESS - from past experience - would be to get to some shows and "network." However, I could really use some guidance! All my show experience was on the other side of the country (CA) and while I can find lists of upcoming shows, I have had difficulty determining which ones - within driving distance of VA - might be "worth" attending. ((I am a single mom of three, I can't justify running around to every show on the east coast just because it MIGHT be useful.))

Any direction/advice would be appreciated! Shows I should make an effort to attend? Should I just start contacting breeders?

Thanks!

Hi,
First find the Club for your chosen breed. Find out which breeders the Club considers "top strains. Check and see who is showing in your area. Also you can ask on this thread who the top breeders are in your chosen breed. These things are widely known I the poultry world. Joseph, you want to jump in here too?
Best,
Karen

Last edited:
Quote:
While in reality, this is the best route, it is not the only route. Point in case...I tried to do the right thing, contacted "the" breeder of red Dorkings, sent the box, paid extremely reasonable "x" amount for a cock and pullet and double that for the shipping...still only about $125 total, (and I sent the money way in advance of shipping). Long story short the male died in transit. I was heart broken. Words can't express going at midnight 45 minutes away to the distribution center to open the box to a dead chicken. It was heartbreaking.

I'm sorry, Getting eggs in the mail from a breeder that you RESEARCH, do your homework and ask your questions and have a 50% hatch rate is not a terrible way to go. Let's face it....if you're in a hurry, you don't need to breed Dorkings. They take FOREVER to mature which means more need for infrastructure and all that being said, they are a freakin awesome breed.
I love them...
just my 2 cents :)

Back
Top Bottom