Hermaphrodite? Or...?

How old is the bird? My Lav Orp didn’t crow at all until like 7 months old. I’ve heard of up to a year too. Some just take longer to mature.
Thank you! Around 8 months old now. ❤️ I guess we will need to keep an eye on this one! We have had others (from the same breeder) and they were all super early crowers. But every chicken is different! ❤️

As far as the spot where the spur would grow, hens get those too. Has she ever given you an egg? Generally you can tell if they're laying by: Vent soft and pliable in hens in production; shrunken and dry in non-producers. And the area between pelvic bones just below the vent in standard sized chickens: in a non-producer, it is only possible to place one or two fingers between the bones; a mature hen in production will generally allow sufficient room for the placing of three to four fingers. I have one chicken that has rather large comb and has semi-developed spurs on both legs, if she wasn't a rhode island red (rooster get huge combs and wattles) and the eggs she lays, I might think she was a rooster just going on her appearance compared to the others. She's a little bigger than most of my other girls too. Sometimes hens can be like that. There is a condition where the one ovary hens have is not working quite right or is damaged that can cause a hen to develop more male traits.

As far as the spot where the spur would grow, hens get those too. Has she ever given you an egg? Generally you can tell if they're laying by: Vent soft and pliable in hens in production; shrunken and dry in non-producers. And the area between pelvic bones just below the vent in standard sized chickens: in a non-producer, it is only possible to place one or two fingers between the bones; a mature hen in production will generally allow sufficient room for the placing of three to four fingers. I have one chicken that has rather large comb and has semi-developed spurs on both legs, if she wasn't a rhode island red (rooster get huge combs and wattles) and the eggs she lays, I might think she was a rooster just going on her appearance compared to the others. She's a little bigger than most of my other girls too. Sometimes hens can be like that. There is a condition where the one ovary hens have is not working quite right or is damaged that can cause a hen to develop more male traits.
See, I'm not sure if she produces or not. My LO aren't laying right now... even the new girls. (Last year our new girls laid through the winter). We have two mixed breeds that are laying consistently, but no LO are. I will definitely keep an eye out and see what we see. I can't wait to find out what she/he is! So far, if he is a rooster- he is so chill!!! If she is a hen- she is huge! Lol

Still no new info... but some more pics. 🤣

Attachments

• 20240106_160646.jpg
    20240106_160646.jpg
    720.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240106_160318.jpg
    20240106_160318.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 20240106_160302.jpg
    20240106_160302.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Me too!! It's so strange. Lol It makes noises like a hen.. like that "chicken growl/talk" sound. And still no crowing. And it's sooo chill.. bottom of the pecking order. 🤷‍♀️
My English Orpington Roo didn't crow until almost 11 months old, and didn't take over the flock for a few months after that. I really think he's a slow maturing cockerel.

Your chicken has all the male-specific feathers of a cockerel, but for some reason he still looks a bit like a pullet in a way from the body shape and something about the face. I'm still going to say cockerel. Males that are at the bottom of the pecking order may never crow, or may only crow when the other males are not watching, so don't expect him to crow at all. Also, chickens have spur nubs since the moment they hatch, no matter their breed, age, or gender. As a chicken grows, their spur nubs will develop into spurs. The older a chicken is, the longer his or her spurs will be. I have a Welsummer hen whose spurs are much longer than the spurs of my cockerels.

Back
Top Bottom