Hernia? Prolapse?

Kpenney

In the Brooder
Jan 29, 2023
I assisted this little one with it’s hatch 36 hours after it’s external pip. It had made no progress in 12 hours. It is now back in the incubator but has a protrusion from its bum area. I’m sure this isn’t a great thing, no matter what it is and could have been the reason it couldn’t hatch by itself. Any tips to help would be great appreciated from this first *and maybe only* time hatcher.

Attachments

• 2B797328-BA64-437D-8424-E5898DCE1FB7.jpeg
    2B797328-BA64-437D-8424-E5898DCE1FB7.jpeg
    349.2 KB · Views: 23
Can you tell if that is the vent opening just under the tail, or the umbilicus? Is it pooping? Prolapsed vents can be common in baby chicks. Many use hydrocortisone cream on prolapses. They may go in on their own, but some chicks won’t survive.

Can you tell if that is the vent opening just under the tail, or the umbilicus? Is it pooping? Prolapsed vents can be common in baby chicks. Many use hydrocortisone cream on prolapses. They may go in on their own, but some chicks won’t survive.
Inspecting it now, it isn’t coming from the vent at all. It’s coming from his belly. Oh dear.

Attachments

• 4DF09AD9-C578-46E9-94D6-F5699F825A17.jpeg
    4DF09AD9-C578-46E9-94D6-F5699F825A17.jpeg
    415.2 KB · Views: 10
Poor little thing doesn’t look healthy. I thought this was just dried fluff because it was pipped and stuck for so long. But there doesn’t look like much fluff on or under the wing. I’ve washed it gently with water as best I can.

Attachments

• 14801DBD-E2C5-417E-B9F6-9BF79099B149.jpeg
    14801DBD-E2C5-417E-B9F6-9BF79099B149.jpeg
    461.8 KB · Views: 11
Is the chick alive? Can you get it drinking some Poultry NutriDrench, electrolyte water or sugar water? Is it an unabsorbed yolk sac? It can be cleaned with betadine or chlorhexidene, and left alone.

Is the chick alive? Can you get it drinking some Poultry NutriDrench, electrolyte water or sugar water? Is it an unabsorbed yolk sac? It can be cleaned with betadine or chlorhexidene, and left alone.
It’s still alive, peeping quite loudly consistently, so I know something is still upsetting it. I did work on trying to get some water and a little bit of moistened food into it and it is not peeping AS much. But when I could get some liquid in its mouth, it had a hard time swallowing. It will not drink or eat on its own. I don’t have any of those products you mentioned, I’m so unprepared and unaware of what is needed and like 1.5 hours from the nearest vet and an hour from a farm store. Any recommendations for household products? Not sure what it is, when left in the brooder, the other chick pecks at it and it’s bleeding. Had to separate them completely.

Do you have sugar that you could add to water for it to drink? 1 tsp per cup of water is good. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment is good to apply.

Back
Top Bottom