1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

hes a she?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by syble, Aug 7, 2011.

1. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    A while ago i posted up photos of my first coturnix to hatch... it was an odd combo i guess. Normal patterned golden color i think we decided on, and it was labeled definitely male... well the definite male has been laying lol. It was in with the jumbos who i thought 1 had started to lay at 4 weeks, turns out it was this one at 6 weeks lol. but it has no spots and was supposed to be male so i dint think anything of it. also, i never heard it crow so thats what got me. what would be the trigger for the lack of spots?
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    WELL ITS A BIZARRE MUTT PATERN, SO??? STILL QUITE A COOL LOOKING BIRD [​IMG]

3. Tikkajazz94

Tikkajazz94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG] agreed!!!

4. MobyQuail

MobyQuail c. giganticus

Sep 10, 2010
    Quailtropolis
    pretty feathers, and a well cared for happy hen. no idea about the spots though. sorry.

5. syble

syble Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2011
    michigan
    i still like it and want to make more so maybe i'll breed it to the golden jumbo male? Wish i had a better understanding of the genes on these guys lol. I think this is where Quail lady pops up lol

6. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    You my friend have a very beautiful Manchurian Hen. Manchurians lack most of what golds/Italians have, the spots. It is quite difficult to get one fully mature since the lethal gene just kicks in moreso than we want. A fawn mutation on the yellow gene creates the pharaoh color to be diverted to a more straw colored bird. It takes the homozygous form of the fawn mutation, whereas the Italian takes the Heterozygous form.

7. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    thats crazy.[​IMG]

8. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Quote:[​IMG] I love you QuailLady!!

9. jfulcher

jfulcher Chillin' With My Peeps