He's dying. Please help.

I'm sorry, this is really sounding like a Marek's case. Most of the time, the ones that are just vitamin deficiencies don't stop eating :(

Update: I started him on the Vital Water available at all times and the bread soaked in Vit B12 & vital water and Vit E on top. I did not get him a syringe and just sat by patiently during feeding times. Feeding was very slow. After an extremely small bite or 2 he would fall asleep. Every couple hours we had to bring food and water to him to make sure he eats. He's been quiet with only some cooing sounds most of the week.

Over the last few days he has been eating much better and is much more entergetic. We are not having to hand feed him and he has started pooing again. Today, as the backyard cockrels started crowing so did he from the bedroom floor!

Overall, his general health, appearance, and attitude are 100%. If not for those danged legs! His left toes still appear curled but he can lift his body up on them. His right leg continuously spasms out behind him (I found this symptom on a Marek's site) He can stand on his left leg, or at least lift his body with it, but his balance is off. If I allow him to use my hand as a perch for his right (spasmatic) foot (or I tuck his foot under him and let it rest on my hand) he can stand rather well and keeps most the weight on his "good" left foot although I can't tell if those toes are curled while he's standing on them. It appears that he may be slowly regaining control over the spasmatic leg. In the beginning, any time he tried to pull it close to his body it shot back out and he would try again immediately. For minutes at a time he would pull it up and it would instantly shoot back out. Today, he is able to slowly pull it up to his body and begin to set it down before it shoots away from him. But definately an improvement.

He is still sitting/standing on his wing and I can't tell if it works. If only those legs come around.

He appears to be going to make it! I had been expecting a steady daily decline in health with Marek's and even though slight, we've seen improvement daily after 4-5 days of vitamins.

Please, y'all have been soooo helpful, when/if he does get better how can I be sure it's safe to put him back with the others. With that spasmatic leg I'm still concerned about Merak's and I read that occasionaly with Marek's tumors don't form and the bird can be nursed back to health. Is he still a threat to my other birds?

Last edited:
He was got at a local breeder and not vaccinated as far as I know. I thought I could only have the vaccination done at a hatchery at 1 day?

Your bird will be a carrier for life and will always be a threat. However, if he was with them when he became sick, they have already been exposed. If it is Marek's, you will not be able to bring an unvaccinated chicken onto your property.

You can vaccinate any age bird. It is just better is they are vaccinated before exposure and then kept in isolation for at least 2 weeks and 6 -12 weeks is even better. Marek's is a disease that can go into remission and then they can become symptomatic again. Keep a close eye on your roo. His crowing is a great sign!!!! Marek's roos stop crowing and the hens stop laying.

Back
Top Bottom