He's dying. Please help.

Larrelye

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
My 14-16 week old seabright is having trouble. He was sold to me as a silver seabright but with the straight comb I'm assuming OEGB. If you don't want to read through, a list of symptoms and what I've done as treatment is at the bottom of this post.

Thursday: The flock was outside free ranging when I brought out some bird seed. All of them coming running except for this very vocal seabright cockrel. He looked dead the way he was laying with his neck stretched out in front of him. He is normally quick to get away from me but this time he was very slow. I was able to walk right up on him. Once I picked him up he appeared fine and quickly flew from my arms, landing very awkwardly on a pile of sticks and went back to lay down and ignore the treats. No apparent injuries.

Friday: When we let them out of the coop, the seabright has his right leg pulled up to his body and stands on his left leg. He does attempt to walk on both legs but there is an obvious limp in the right leg. He finds himself a nice spot to sit and stays there most of the day but does participate in snack times and otherwise seems fine. He is able to fly to his perch but I've noticed his right wing hangs so low it is actually wrapping around his leg. When laying down his wings are at very odd positions and are often under his body with him standing or laying on them. Assumed this was a sprained/twisted foot from yesterday's leap and decided to just keep an eye on him. Checked for a broken leg, bumblefoot, cuts, and swelling. No apparent injuries.

Saturday: It's worse. Seems like he doesn't want to walk on either leg, but is able to with a very noticeable stumble. Keeps his body low to the ground. Wings still dropped very low. Still attempts to participates in snacks but is not moving well at all. I begin noticing that while he and the others appear to be happy, his tail is being stepped on with every passerby and he shows no response. Still sticks his neck straight out when laying down and appears very odd. Checked for a broken leg, bumblefoot, cuts, swelling, neck and wing for injuries. No apparent injuries.

Sunday: Both feet/toes are curled up. Often times attempting to stand and/or walk on curled toes or on the side of his feet. Sometimes he is able to stand on the curled feet and occasionally he stands with the toes properly spread. I believe this is just a coincidence because it's rarely and he doesn't appear to try to correct his feet/toes when they are curled. Took him out of the coop with the rest and put him inside in a box with several layers of batting for softness. He is still interested in chick feed and ate a little bit of cucumber and orange but very lethargic. He is almost unable/unwilling to turn himself around to eat but when food or water is placed in front of him he will attempt it. He is not drinking much at all. Only a few drops when I hold the bowl very close to his mouth, sometimes having to dip his beak slightly. When he lays he often stretches his neck out far away from his body instead of pulling it in like the others do. Caught him preening himself in the box at least once. I've also noticed that his mouth is constantly partway open like he is having trouble breathing? No panting or gasping just open with a quick close every once in a while. Checked for a broken leg, bumblefoot, cuts, and swelling. Inspected wings, neck, chest, and crop. Crop very full and feels like a small rock is inside despite the lack of appetite. Still crowing. Checked for a broken leg, bumblefoot, cuts, and swelling. Checked body for swelling, tumurs, lumps, or pain. No apparent injuries.

Today: Better and worse. He slept inside last night. He began crowing this morning but it was a weak sounding crow. He appears completely unable to stand while we were inside. I brought the box outside to the porch this morning to get some sun. There is a hole in the side where he can see out. The other chickens are in sight and making noise. When he heard the others he turned himself around to see outside. Again not standing or walking. More of a flopping and belly slide around. He did stand a couple times and looked very healthy for a few seconds. He is attempting to walk/move around by walking on the sides of his feet. Several times while laying down it appears as if he sat on his butt, stuck his legs out, and then laid between his legs. Like the exercise where you sit, stretch your legs and pull your toes. We took the top off his box to clean it while outside and he escaped. It was a very clumsy escape and he didn't appear to have a lot of control but he did use his wings to fly out of the (small) box. He barely made it over the 18 inch wall which he is completely capable of doing at other times. Being outsed does seem to have raised his spirits but I don't want to stress him by seeing the all his buddies and not being able to play. Checked for a broken leg, bumblefoot, cuts, swelling, and pain response through out his body. Not a peep. No apparent injuries.

Symptoms:
Toes curled, walking on sides of feet and laying them at odd angles. Doesn't appear to have much, if any, control of feet. Appears to have complete control of upper part of legs.
Wings are very droopy but does appear to have control.
Head/Neck seems weak. He is able to lift his head but then it slowly drops back down. He often seems to rest on his partially open beak or top of head.
Beak stays partially open most of the time with quick closes now and then
Lethargic, unable to walk, does not seem depressed, unhappy, or stressed.

Treatment:
Separated from flock in case of Mareks. Began giving him apple cider vinegar (read that uti gland is in legs and could cause problems). Adding asprin to water for pain even though there appears to be none maybe I'm just not recognizing his pain responses. I've taken away snacks and only feeding chick/grower pellets.

Coop info:
Coop is due for a cleaning but there is no smell and relatively clean. Much of the bedding has been scooped out and needs refilled but otherwise neat. I use a small amount of agriculture lime mixed with my bedding to help with moisture and smell. Coop was cleaned and refilled about 2 weeks ago. Also 2 weeks ago, the run area was raked and sprayed very well.

Inside is 20 sq feet. Outside is 48 sq. feet. Most days they are allowed to free range most of the day. This coop is shared with other 14-16 wk olds.
5 Orphingtons, 2 EE, 1 6 wk old RR, 2 polish, and 2 silkies. Currently this is enough space but is getting a little crowded. In the next couple of weeks we will be separating the polish, silkies, and seabright into other coops.

Diet:
Chick Starter/Grower Pellet combo feed. Parakeet food and leftovers (usually corn, macaroni, chicken). Allowed to free range most days.

Last edited:
Thank you for the link! I've picked up some vit-al and will look for B2 supplements to add to water. Looks like vit-al only has a minimum amount of B1 and 2

To make sure he gets the whole tablet, crush it up, then dilute it into a small amount of water, then soak it into some bread or as I found to be very tempting a rich tea biscuit! He will gobble it up, I also gave vit E capsule, open the capsule and squirt the oil onto bread or biscuit

Thank you all for the advice. I've picked up some vitamin E and some B12 (thats the only kind they had) and will try feeding him as soon as I get home.

Please read Marek's threads. Your bird is fitting the symptoms. Also, if it gets to the point of euthanizing, please have a necropsy done so that you will know for sure what the problem was. Most states have labs that will do them for little to no cost.

As for vitamins, I was told to give .5 mls of polyvisol, without iron, once per day and 400ius of vitamin E twice daily. This vitamin regimen could take up to 2 weeks to work.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you leadwolf. I've treated him for vitamin deficency this evening and will continue to do so. I dipped the bread in vitamin B12 water and added the vitamin E which he did eat very well even if slow. I have some eggs scrambled for him in the morning that I'll add some cheese for the riboflavin and vitamins too. The originally "injured" foot is no longer curled but he still doesn't seem to be controlling it well. He is applying pressure on it though. His spirits are lifted when I bring his crate outside during the day so I will keep doing that, I was worried about putting him down too early. I am so glad you told me to expect a couple of weeks of recovery if all goes well.

I am very worried it might be marek's since this chick did not come from a hatchery but a private breeder. I hate to think that he's suffering or in any pain.

If it's any consolation, I don't think Marek's causes much pain. Not until the end...and the ones with paralysis don't seem to suffer much. So, keep trying...he will tell you when he's had enough. If the vitamin therapy doesn't work, though I am hoping and praying that it does....please try and have a necropsy done...it is the only way to know what you are dealing with.

This morning he is still alive. I moved his box to indirect sunlight outside. He turned himself
around while I had walked away. Both feet are again curly and even if I try to lay him so his feet are under him it's like they only want to stick straight out. I havent been able to get him to eat or drink and will go get a syringe to feed him with.

Back
Top Bottom