Hesitant Newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MTCoop, Mar 12, 2014.

1. MTCoop

MTCoop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Hi All. I live in Ontario Canada and have been talked into getting Chickens by my husband. We just moved to a home with over an acre of land and he has always wanted to raise some chickens, so here we go. We have 15 chicks coming the end of April and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed by the whole thing. I wanted to start with a lot fewer - say 4-8, but regardless, 15 are coming.
    Any tips on how big our coop/run should be. In fact, any tips on anything would be helpful. We have never done this before. My hubby is super excited and I have to admit, I am starting to warm up to the idea, just a bit nervous about the whole thing. We found this website through research on the internet and I have to say, I love it. There is so much information on here and I like the thought of talking to other 'chicken' people. Thank you in advance for your advice!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Start with the Learning Center and then study the forums and ask questions. Don't stress - this entire poultry community is here to help you.

5. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    As already mentioned the Learning Center is the best place to start. And don't be hesitant! Chicks/Chickens ARE SO MUCH FUN! Chicken TV is the best relaxation I've had in a very long time.

[​IMG]

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] you will get to love your birds [​IMG] and you will end up wanting more & more

7. MTCoop

MTCoop Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2014
    Thank you everyone for the helpful links and the kind words. The more I read on BYC the less hesitant I become.
    Thank you! I am sure that we will have lots of questions as we move forward and its nice to know there is a whole community out here to help us!

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great having you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Hope you come back again and again [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of our flock [​IMG]

When you get some good help of useful advice here at BYC give the
    person or persons the thumbs up button other wise they might not
    see you thanking them and that goes straight to their in box [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Yes and they take up all of my time but very much worth it !!!!

10. Sweet Basil

Sweet Basil Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Arkansas, USA
    [​IMG]
    I fear you will soon become a chicken fanatic like the rest of us! Lol I'm sure all your questions will be answered on this site--it's a very helpful place. Good luck with your future flock. Keep us posted! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by