Hey all! can you please help me identify these birds?

McCauleyCoop

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 31, 2014
Springwater, New York
These are the first, we have 12 of them and we received them from TSC as straight run pullets and don't know exactly what breed they are although we would like to know.

This is the second this rooster was a exotic bonus for the 15 Ameraucanas we received from a family member. We have no clue what he is although we have an idea he maybe a PLymouth rock.

Any help is welcome.

The white hens are probably white Leghorns. I have two of them that look the same. And I can practically assure you that the rooster is a Plymouth Rock.

The hens ?. The rooster is very likely a Dominique. Comb says that he is not a Plymouth Rock, and red earlobes indicate that the hens are not leghorns.

Last edited:
We have one of our TS chicks still alive she looks like yours and we were told that they are a breed that tractor supple makes on their own but they are mixed with white Plymouth rocks . I can't remember what they called them. The Roo looks just like our Dominique roo.

I'm thinking the pullets are a Leghorn-based hybrid like the Tetra Tints or Amberlinks. They'll probably be spectacular layers of light brown eggs.

The rooster is a Dominique.

If the hens are pure white, they are white plymouth rocks. When they were chicks they would have some gray down on them.

If the hens have yellowish, brown or dark feather thrown in, they are amber whites or California whites. They are a mix between a rhode island red and a rhode island white. They will lay brown eggs.

Totally agree with the others they are likelyTetra Tints or Amberlink hens (from what I can see in the photos), and that is a Dominique rooster.

I would only add just to make sure you realize some terms the next time you purchase (unless your post was simply a typo, then ignore the following)....

When you state you got straight run pullets, you are mixing terms.

A pullet is a young female chicken (before she lays eggs). Straight run means the chicks have not been sexed so you will get the luck of the draw of pullets and roos in the mix, overall works out to 50/50, but just as flipping that quarter, you could end up with a bunch of pullets or a bunch of roo's depending upon your luck. So there is no such thing as straight run pullets....you can't purchase straight run chicks and get 100% pullets (unless you are lucky). If the store marked them as such, they are inaccurate and should be told so as it is confusing to customers.

Since it appears you have purchased Amberlinks or Tetra Tints, you have Sex Links. (The store may have/should have marked as such). With Sex Link pullets, you WILL get girls only. Sex Links will be 100% accurate as the coloring of the chick (and adult bird) is linked to the sex. This is done by breeding a red based roo (such as RIR) over a white based hen (such as a White Rock or Delaware or Silver Wyandotte) for red based sex links such as the Red Star, Tetra Tint, Amber Link, Cinnamon Queen, Gold Star...etc. depending upon the flavor at the hatchery. Note sex linked hybrid works only the first generation, so only buy Sex Links from reputable feed stores and breeders...breeding two Sex Links does NOT produce color coded chicks as that trait falls away.

Sexed chicks, or more importantly sexed pullets, means that someone at the hatchery has looked closely at each chick and determined if it is a male or female. Sexing is about 90% accurate from the hatcheries, so of 10 chicks purchased, you might have 1 rooster in the batch of sexed pullets.

Just so you know, just in case you didn't.

Lady of McCamley

Back
Top Bottom