Hey dere! We’re new, I guess.

:frow @SolomonTreme Welcome from a fellow New Orleanian. Hope you find this site informative and helpful. You will find that the "rooster" laws are enforced differently in different parts of the city. I believe you probably won't have a problem unless your neighbors are complaining. I would check with my neighbors before getting a rooster or if you are hearing roosters where you live, I would not worry about it. Also the 4 chicken rule is hardly ever enforced anywhere in the city. If you get a roo and someone complains the SPCA will notify you and give you 15 days to re-home him. If you are looking for a cockerel for your flock PM me as I have 2 (I hatched French Black copper Marans and French Blue Copper Marans this spring and have 1 cockerel of each) that I have to get rid of as I have a jerky neighbor and one is starting to make crowing attempts. Would love them to have good homes and if it helps someone here start a flock that would be a win-win for everyone. Let me know if I can help or answer any questions, or put you in touch with one of our members who can help. Again, welcome and good luck with your flock. Hope to see you around the site. :highfive:

Hi and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us :ya
@Ursuline Chick Pop over and say hi when you have a sec
@rjohns39 Thank you. Based on the OP's name I believe this person really lives in the city like I do. Glad you notify me when New Orleanians join, always nice to know local folks who are like minded. Thanks again, hope all is going well with you. :frow

@rjohns39 Thank you. Based on the OP's name I believe this person really lives in the city like I do. Glad you notify me when New Orleanians join, always nice to know local folks who are like minded. Thanks again, hope all is going well with you. :frow
I always try to put locals together... But you are special! You helped me through an extremely hard time.

We are Jonathan and Maria and Zeylea (Zee-lee) and an unnamed growing fetus. We have 3 chickens, 2 Rhode Island reds, named Optical and Delusion, and a black chicken (can’t remember the breed), named Blackie. We’ve live in New Orleans. There are so many chickens running wild around the city (I have heard it’s because cockfighting was legal for so long here). Living in New Orleans creates some problems regarding urban farming, mostly to do with soil quality and bugs. This doesn’t seem to affect the chickens too much.

We decided to get some chicks last December. Our girls are almost a year old, and they’re mostly doing great. We’ve been dealing with Delusion being eggbound, and we’re actually taking her to the vet today. Hopefully that goes smoothly.

We’re glad to be a part of the community.
Welcome to BYC!
:yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas
Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP

We are Jonathan and Maria and Zeylea (Zee-lee) and an unnamed growing fetus. We have 3 chickens, 2 Rhode Island reds, named Optical and Delusion, and a black chicken (can’t remember the breed), named Blackie. We’ve live in New Orleans. There are so many chickens running wild around the city (I have heard it’s because cockfighting was legal for so long here). Living in New Orleans creates some problems regarding urban farming, mostly to do with soil quality and bugs. This doesn’t seem to affect the chickens too much.

We decided to get some chicks last December. Our girls are almost a year old, and they’re mostly doing great. We’ve been dealing with Delusion being eggbound, and we’re actually taking her to the vet today. Hopefully that goes smoothly.

We’re glad to be a part of the community.
Welcome to BYC!!! Good luck with your hen!

Which vet? We are new to New Orleans and don't have a poultry vet but would love to have one on file for future reference! Good luck to your eggbound hen.
@camella :frow Welcome, If I may ask, what part of the city are you in. Hope it is a chicken friendly part. And hope you enjoy being in New Orleans. Please feel free to reach out if I can be of any help. Sorry I do not know any chicken vets at this time, we have been lucky and have not needed the services of one yet, however I am interested in the response for the same reason. and again, if you don't mind, where are you coming to New Orleans from?

Back
Top Bottom