hey, do you think my new chicks look strange? pic inside...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tazzy, Mar 17, 2009.

1. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    Well, I went to three TSC stores today, searching for buff orpington and/or light brahmas chicks. I ended up bringing these four little guys home. Is it just me, or are they odd-looking chicks? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

(seriously, aren't my four new little baby ducks adorable???? I haven't raised ducks before. we're in for an adventure in poultry! two white pekin and two mallards.)

2. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

They are lots of fun but messier than chicks. They really like to play in the water container. They do not grow and featherout as fgast as chicks either but they tame easy and will follow you around like a puppy. Have fun!

3. welovechickens

welovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    Awwwww, what cute chickies! [​IMG]

I have a soft spot for ducks! You will have the time of your life. [​IMG]

4. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    Is it already April Fools Day???? [​IMG] lol

sandyj

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I have raised ducks, and they are wonderful! Start looking for a baby pool now! Congrats- I think- they are messy little puddlers! [​IMG]

6. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    [​IMG] I used to have mallards I really loved them!! I had pekins too , I liked them too , but I really , really loved the mallards.

7. tazzy

tazzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Kentucky
    oh, thanks everyone! we were wondering what to do for a water supply and were thinking about getting a baby pool. we have five acres, but no pond! I called my dad, who grew up on a farm with ducks, etc., to make sure it was okay to get them without our own pond. he said sure, no problem, but don't be surprised if they go next door to our neighbor's pond all the time, or the creek across the road from our house!

I love animals and this will be so much fun to raise a few ducks.

Oh, and our order for light brahmas just went through at cackle hatchery, so those little guys will be arriving in a couple of weeks. We're still having problems finding buff orpingtons right now, but I told my husband if we just wait, we'll have some, because we have seven buff orp hens of our own and every summer at least a couple of them go broody.

8. ChickenPalace

ChickenPalace Out Of The Brooder

Very cute - but my husband cannot see this post because he wants ducks and a turkey...I refuse and so far it works.

I just keep buying him new baby chicks to stop him from bugging me. [​IMG]

9. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Awwww let the poor guy have some turkeys!!!! They're sweet, funny and companionable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by