Hey Everybody!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by generalK, May 28, 2012.

1. generalK

generalK Hatching

May 28, 2012
    Hello,

My name is Logan and I just got 4 chickens today. I have never raised chickens before but I have always wanted to and I couldn't be more excited to start learning and get my chickens laying or cooking. My chickens are 4-8 weeks old. I found them on craigslist and the lady had 18 chickens all different varieties. I picked out the ones I wanted but I had to catch them myself so I just grabbed the first 4 I could get my hands on. I will be posting pictures later for all your help to figure out what kinds of chickens I have.

I have a question off the bat. Do I need to have separate compartments in my coop for each chicken?

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

With only four chickens, you can probably get by with just one nest box (where they lay eggs). I have four as well, and have 1 nest box, but it is large enough for two, however, they seem to prefer one side of it over the other! Silly birds.

They will sleep/roost on a bar/2x4 or tree branch you will put across the coop. Make sure the roost is higher than the nest box.

Looking forward to your pics.

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

4. [​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. Congrats on your chickens and good luck [​IMG]

6. Just reebok

Just reebok Chirping

Welcome! Don't know the answers as I am new to this world as well. But glad that you are here!

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. I have 11 hens and 5 boxes and today I found all 11 eggs in one box. :he

8. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome

If you mean for egg laying, you'll be fine with just one box with a small number of chickens. If you mean overall, they should all be ok to intermingle, especially if they've lived together up until now!

Don't hesitate to ask any questions you might have, and enjoy the site. :D

Last edited: May 28, 2012
  9. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: