Hey Everyone

As for connecting with them...go sit on the floor of the run or someplace relatively contained. Bring a bag of goodies and hold the tasty tidbits in your hand. You can sprinkle some around you, but let the birds come to you. Sit quietly every day with them on their level. Eventually they see you as something to be quite trusted and once they have climbed all over your lap to get goodies, they will want to sit on you. As long as all your encounters are positive, it doesn't take them long to bond closely with you. Food!! The best bonding agent ever!! Ha!

That's very encouraging to hear! I guess I just need to be a little bit more patient with these ladies, lol. And I should probably take our new babies out for some lap time more often. I think my dad has done that the most out of my siblings and I. It's actually really cute to watch him take out a couple, grab a handful of feed, then sit in his chair with them sitting on his belly while he watches TV.

As for the hens and rooster, I definitely give them a homemade scratch almost every evening that I've been using to teach them to come when called, but I don't really sit with them anymore. I used to all the time in the first month we had them, which seemed to help them warm up to us, but I honestly haven't really thought about it much since then. I'll try to do this more often, at least on the weekends and my days off. I'm sure my littler sister will like to do this too, especially if she gets lap chickens out of it, lol.

Thanks again TwoCrows! I really appreciate your time and advice.
smile.png

That's very encouraging to hear! I guess I just need to be a little bit more patient with these ladies, lol. And I should probably take our new babies out for some lap time more often. I think my dad has done that the most out of my siblings and I. It's actually really cute to watch him take out a couple, grab a handful of feed, then sit in his chair with them sitting on his belly while he watches TV.

As for the hens and rooster, I definitely give them a homemade scratch almost every evening that I've been using to teach them to come when called, but I don't really sit with them anymore. I used to all the time in the first month we had them, which seemed to help them warm up to us, but I honestly haven't really thought about it much since then. I'll try to do this more often, at least on the weekends and my days off. I'm sure my littler sister will like to do this too, especially if she gets lap chickens out of it, lol.

Thanks again TwoCrows! I really appreciate your time and advice. :)  

I have one hen that I have pretty much given up on trying to get her to calm down everytime you try to pet her she just squawks so loud and in the coop it seems to Eco. So when I am in the house I put her out in the run and then once she goes back in I lock up the house for the night and let them out in the morning some days she isn't as bad with the squawking so I don't have to put her in the run. But sometimes you don't even have to touch her or even try to tough her she just will start squawking so I have to put her out in the run as soon as I go in the coop.

Back
Top Bottom