Hey Gang! Whatcha think of my plans and Rooster issue?

So look how these boneheads roost ...

43f1a261-818d-1e4b.jpg

And the two Marans sleep on the floor in the corner with the little ones ..
43f1a261-81d4-99d0.jpg

What.the.heck .... lol

Last edited:
Looks like my coop!
idunno.gif
Some roost as they should, some in the rafters sideways...and some cuddle in the corner near the door. No clue why they do that! Plenty of roosting room for sure. About a third of them are the floor folks and I believe they were the last ones to go in the coop at night, I referred to them lovingly of course..as my short bus kids. Your chickens are doing really well. Mine go crazy over watermelon. When I go into their run or near it, they all come running to see if I brought them something. Can't wait for fresh eggs!
celebrate.gif

we've only got two roost bars for our 5 chickens (will be 4 after we get rid of our rooster). the top one is about 5 feet long, bottom one is about half that. we (trying to be good, proud, responsible chicken keepers!) wanted to make sure they weren't crowded and could roost comfortably. well, they all roost on only the top one every night which didn't surprise us terribly, what with roosting on the lower bar being a lower dominance position, but squabble amongst themselves for positioning to be the closest to one end of the roost. i just shake my head when i look in at them using about 2 feet of the space they have, with 3 feet wide open on the top roost, and bottom one empty...they also usually alternate sitting > standing > sitting > standing, seemingly to pack themselves in even tighter and take up as little space as possible...
idunno.gif

Tony, mine do the same thing, there is two groups that huddle in packs on the roost. The three chicks that 2nd Broody Mama hatched still bunk together in the broody house they were hatched in. The chicks I bought in March, bunk with my silkie roo in the silkie house on a board.

We lost our roo on Monday, he hurt his leg a second time & never recovered from the second injury. Today I found our remaining Light Brahma had passed. Have not had a good year with our chickens.

lau.gif
Chickens may be lovable, but no one can accuse them of being intelligent.
Word....
Can't wait for fresh eggs!
My oldest birds turn 15 weeks old tomorrow and a few of them are really getting red combs so I am hoping any day.. :)
Tony, mine do the same thing, there is two groups that huddle in packs on the roost. The three chicks that 2nd Broody Mama hatched still bunk together in the broody house they were hatched in. The chicks I bought in March, bunk with my silkie roo in the silkie house on a board.

We lost our roo on Monday, he hurt his leg a second time & never recovered from the second injury. Today I found our remaining Light Brahma had passed. Have not had a good year with our chickens.
So sorry to hear about your rooster... mine almost bought the farm at my hand as he plucked feathers out of my one EE's face twice and my BO's tail in a one hour time .... sincere then he has been great tho .. even protecting the 7 and 9 week old birds from the older ones .... Some pics taken today....I am filling the run in this weekend with rough sand as the grass finally gave up the ghost...lol
43f1a261-9bb2-bfe9.jpg
43f1a261-9bc4-66cb.jpg
43f1a261-9bd6-66be.jpg
43f1a261-9be7-60cb.jpg
43f1a261-9bf5-19a0.jpg
43f1a261-9c09-4952.jpg

The flock is sure a good looking bunch!

The grass lasted a lot longer than I thought. But you'll be happy with the sand and so will the gang. Mine adore sand baths. There's a nifty trick with sand that's hard to do with a dirt run to cool the run down on very hot days. I water down the sand, to make it damp but not soggy, and the evaporation will cool the air down a good ten degrees! The chickens love to hunker down in the cool dampness of the sand. Cheap air conditioning!

So we got the nesting boxes finished ......

43f1a261-8de4-a414.jpg

43f1a261-8df4-1c55.jpg

And filled the run with sand 5+" deep.... also notice in the one pic my Dorking rooster sitting with the young ones ....he is such a good protector!

Its not letting me put more pics in...:mad:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom