Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

That sounds really good! Can you tell us how you fix them?
The mustard is Florida Broadleaf from the garden. I pick the leaves when they are about the size of an average hand or bigger. Rinse off and chop, if you like. Sometimes we just leave them whole an remove any tough stems. I think the trick is to not chop too finely. Simply season with salt and add some fat. Rendered bacon fat is best, but butter will do. Just boil until dark green and tender. I like to add a splash of hot pepper infused vinegar (pepper sauce) to the greens on the plate.

The rutabaga is cooked the exact same way, but in a separate pot. You could use the same pot, but the rutabaga would get an unappetizing green color. Chop the rutabaga into about one inch cubes. BE CAREFUL. Rutabagas are hard and you can easily have a knife accident. Boil the cubes until tender with salt, pepper, and some bacon fat or butter.

My pork chops were thin, so just some seasoning and a couple of minutes per side on the grill. Thick chops would get a brine first.

The greens and rutabaga smell is strong while cooking. As mentioned, the wife does not like the rutabaga smell, but I enjoy it.

The mustard is Florida Broadleaf from the garden. I pick the leaves when they are about the size of an average hand or bigger. Rinse off and chop, if you like. Sometimes we just leave them whole an remove any tough stems. I think the trick is to not chop too finely. Simply season with salt and add some fat. Rendered bacon fat is best, but butter will do. Just boil until dark green and tender. I like to add a splash of hot pepper infused vinegar (pepper sauce) to the greens on the plate.

The rutabaga is cooked the exact same way, but in a separate pot. You could use the same pot, but the rutabaga would get an unappetizing green color. Chop the rutabaga into about one inch cubes. BE CAREFUL. Rutabagas are hard and you can easily have a knife accident. Boil the cubes until tender with salt, pepper, and some bacon fat or butter.

My pork chops were thin, so just some seasoning and a couple of minutes per side on the grill. Thick chops would get a brine first.

The greens and rutabaga smell is strong while cooking. As mentioned, the wife does not like the rutabaga smell, but I enjoy it.
Thanks! Your explanation is perfect!

Back
Top Bottom