Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Tonight was coquille st jacques (stuffed scallops) as an appetizer, followed by poached dover sole with a tarragon white wine reduction, and salad and bread on the side. A Kennedy Point Sauvignon Blanc to accompany.

Quote:
WOW!!
droolin.gif
your dinner is first rate and sounds a lot like the better restaurants in the Napa Valley where we used to live. Don't you just love a great meal at the end of the day!

Glad to hear that we have some adventurous travelers amongst our Hey Grandpa group. It is really fun for me to do. A couple of summers ago, we went to Hawaii for the first time. It was nice and relaxing, but I really missed getting out and experiencing the culture of a place. Of course, we did use frequent flyer miles (which involved a two day trip via Portland which enabled us to see some family and friends up there) and rented the Hawaii condo via VRBO. I even managed a deal on the car rental - $124 for a week in Maui.
big_smile.png
We only fly somewhere every few years, usually when we've saved up enough FF miles. Otherwise, we camp in our little trailer.

Terri O - See, you'd travel very well with us. On each of our Europe trips, we did everything with carry-on luggage only. Everything we needed for a 3- week trip fit in overhead sized duffle bags. We had to do laundry here and there, of course, but the duffles made it much easier to hop on and off trains and get through town. Everything we did was by train, bus, or on foot so it had to be easy. As for your farmhouse, I'm not opposed to working for lodging.
wink.png

I agree with you all that asking the locals is often the way to go. My favorite breakfast place in the US was found that way. Now when we're up that way, we always make a stop at that same place, even going out of the way to do so. Some things are just that good.

As for dinners . . .
Sunday - beef stew, salad, and bread
Monday - pizza on the run (busy day)
Today - meatloaf, baked potatoes, peas.

I made things this week that would have leftovers along with them. It has been busy. I'm looking forward to a quieter week next week.

Talking about asking locals where to eat. I love the show Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I get a lot of inspiration from that show. When my sister-in-law retires, she and her husband are going on a road trip and visit the places that are in Guy's book. That would be fun, keep a log and rate the places that you visit.

Last night was a quick roasted chicken burrito. Have a pork chop out for tonight.

Sandee

A mini Thanksgiving dinner, but with chicken -- roasted whole chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, homemade stuffing, and sweet potato casserole (sweet potatoes from the garden). It seems that chicken just tastes better to me than turkey these days.

Yesterday I made two big chicken pot pies, using the roast chicken from a couple of nights ago and vegetables from the garden. I gave one to the neighbor, since they had a death in the family and no-one is up to cooking any meals.

Tonight everyone is on their own, but for tomorrow I have the final remains of the roasted chicken simmering in the crockpot to make a nice chicken soup.

Short ribs with potatoes, carrots and celery slowly cooked in a dutch oven, all with homemade pickled beets.

I make onion rice soup with extra rice. I freeze it until I have enough.

Kaj

Back
Top Bottom