Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Tonight we are going out for our Anniversary (yesterday). We are going to a wine tasting dinner at a local winery. They have live music and plenty of wines to sample. We go to their dinner several times a year and replenish our stock of wine at home with the after dinner discounts.

winesmiley.gif

The menu includes
assorted vegetables & dip, cheese & meat platter, pickles, olives, crackers,
garden salad,
Golden Carrot Soup,
choice of Prime Rib or Grilled Chicken Breast,
Golden Mashed Potatoes,
Green Beans,
rolls & butter,
Karen’s Homemade Banana Pudding topped with whipped cream & chocolate syrup,
and Naylor Wine with every course.

Quote:
Travel is one of our favorite things to do. We don't own a large or fancy home or new cars, but we do enjoy visiting places throughout the world. We are also pros on traveling cheap and save for a long time to be able to afford these trips. Our European trips cost us $3,500 (shoulder season) and $5,000 (high season) for each 3 week trip for two people, including all airfare from the west coast, hotels, trains, tickets, food, and souvenirs, both trips at a time when the US dollar was at a low point. That works out to as low as $538.00 per person per week.
big_smile.png
But, we're always willing to stay in places most Americans wouldn't think of doing - a one star hotel with a bathroom on the hall (or in one case - two flights down the stairs), or in a Pension. We stayed in a Pension in Salzburg, about a mile and a half walk up the river. We literally arrived by train and walked home with an older gentleman who was at the train station looking to book guests into a room in his house. For only $28 a night, we got a bedroom with a big fluffy down comforter, a private sitting room, a shared bathroom with one other room, and a full, hot, homemade breakfast. Our trips to New York and Chicago were on frequent flyer miles and in both cases we booked hotels with kitchens so we could eat out of the markets as much as possible. Even the hotel in Paris where we stay has kitchen access so that we can eat out of the markets for some of our meals. It is possible to do if you're willing to give up luxuries and live amongst the people. That's my favorite part anyway - meeting people from around the world and learning about their lives.

As for New Orleans, we had an opportunity to travel there with our son's band this past April. The food was wonderful!!! When we came back, I did hunt down a gumbo recipe that was pretty darn good. Try this one: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Boudreauxs-Zydeco-Stomp-Gumbo/Detail.aspx Some changes I made were to use Andouille sausage instead of pork sausage and I added okra. I also used less chicken broth. It was wonderful served over rice. The whole family loved it and it made so much that I froze the leftovers in two different batches. After we finish up the last batch, I may have to make some more!

Your wine dinner sounds wonderful, sgtmom52!

Chicken wings with jerk sauce, rice and string beans ( from the garden).
Tonight, going out, the oldest rat is playing in a concert this afternoon.
Kaj

Quote:
Travel is one of our favorite things to do. We don't own a large or fancy home or new cars, but we do enjoy visiting places throughout the world. We are also pros on traveling cheap and save for a long time to be able to afford these trips. Our European trips cost us $3,500 (shoulder season) and $5,000 (high season) for each 3 week trip for two people, including all airfare from the west coast, hotels, trains, tickets, food, and souvenirs, both trips at a time when the US dollar was at a low point. That works out to as low as $538.00 per person per week.
big_smile.png
But, we're always willing to stay in places most Americans wouldn't think of doing - a one star hotel with a bathroom on the hall (or in one case - two flights down the stairs), or in a Pension. We stayed in a Pension in Salzburg, about a mile and a half walk up the river. We literally arrived by train and walked home with an older gentleman who was at the train station looking to book guests into a room in his house. For only $28 a night, we got a bedroom with a big fluffy down comforter, a private sitting room, a shared bathroom with one other room, and a full, hot, homemade breakfast. Our trips to New York and Chicago were on frequent flyer miles and in both cases we booked hotels with kitchens so we could eat out of the markets as much as possible. Even the hotel in Paris where we stay has kitchen access so that we can eat out of the markets for some of our meals. It is possible to do if you're willing to give up luxuries and live amongst the people. That's my favorite part anyway - meeting people from around the world and learning about their lives.

As for New Orleans, we had an opportunity to travel there with our son's band this past April. The food was wonderful!!! When we came back, I did hunt down a gumbo recipe that was pretty darn good. Try this one: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Boudreauxs-Zydeco-Stomp-Gumbo/Detail.aspx Some changes I made were to use Andouille sausage instead of pork sausage and I added okra. I also used less chicken broth. It was wonderful served over rice. The whole family loved it and it made so much that I froze the leftovers in two different batches. After we finish up the last batch, I may have to make some more!

Your wine dinner sounds wonderful, sgtmom52!

Thanks for the recipe on Gumbo I will try it for sure. I agree we all need to prioritize what we want from life. We made the decision 5 years ago now to leave the high life and calm our lives down. We are still getting our ranch in order and hopefully we will be able to travel to some different states before we get too old to do it. When we do we would probably go the same route as yourself. When we do travel to different cities around us we always ask locals where they would eat and get turned on to some awesome "holes in the wall" that most people wouldn't think to eat at.

Last night I roasted 1/2 a chicken (homegrown) with side of red potatoes and candied carrots that I went out in the dark and pulled straight from the garden. Can't get any fresher than that!!

Sandee

Backyard buddies--I am not so lucky that my DH would even "stoop" to traveling and staying that way! Now I am totally different! (I really think I may have married the WRONG man!) My favorite thing to do would be to pack a bag and just GO! Stay where I may and make friends along the way. Your travel experiences are enviable to me! Keep on doing it--and if you ever want to stay at an old farm house in Wisconsin--look me up!!! (I could put you to work)
bow.gif

OK--for supper...pork chops rolled in cornflakes and baked, cranberry sauce, stuffing and zucchini sauteed with mushrooms and onion. YUM! Terri O

Roasted home grown chicken, mash potatoes, spinach, gravy, and strawberry/banana with chocolate syrup for desert.

If we are bouncing from town to town, we'll ask the locals. The better half hates its, but it's the only way to find good food. If we are on a long haul, we'll look for truckers. They seem to know where the good food is. I'll never forget, one time we were up in Nova Scotia, I couldn't tell you the town. It look like a trucker convention at this place called the "Yellow Rose". We walked in, everyone looks at the better half and the place quiets down. Some of the best food and nicest people I have ever met.

Kaj

Okay, I have an assortment. Not just tonight, but a few things I have had over the last couple weeks. Had to attend a conference in Minneapolis/St. Paul a few weeks ago. Went to a a great Mexican place that had a tortilla bar that had goat and cows tongue as a part of the meat portion of the menu. I know it's not for everyone, but I loved it. Haven't had either in way too long. The next night we went to Ruth's Chris in Downtown Minneapolis. I had the Cowboy Ribeye and I have to say that it was the BEST steak I have ever eaten. I pride myself in making great BBQ and steaks on the smoker and the grill, but this was really the best steak I have ever eaten bar none. It was VERY expensive for my budget, but it was well worth the experience.

Now for tonight. I made an aged(30 days) venison loin (12 inch long piece of the back loin taken off my own land) that I crusted in fresh black pepper and sea salt. Seared in a cast iron skillet then placed in the oven in the skillet at 500 for 10 minutes. Comes out medium rare to medium. Let it rest for 5 minutes then slice very thin and serve with a bit of sour cream with dill mixed in on the side. Served with a small baked potato and carrots and peas (all from the garden). We eat a lot of venison here. We age it and do it right. Rarely any gamey taste at all.

Back
Top Bottom