Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Last night I made Roast beef (Eye of Round) with pototoes, carrots & onions. As a bonus, I threw in a Pork sirloin roast - my Dad's trick for getting a good gravy base since the eye of round is so lean. It was fantastic - cooked to a perfect Medium (pink and juicy in the center).
DH does not really like Pot roast, so when I said I was making Beef Roast he said "I might make something for myself" I said that's fine. Well, he really liked it and said it is a definite keeper/make again recipe.
The leftover beef will be sliced thin and used for French Dip sandwiches. Anything left after that would be turned into Roast Beef Hash - but I'm pretty sure that there won't be any left for hash.
I like the leanness of the Eye of Round Roast, but I had to ask the butcher if they ever carry them because I could never find one on the shelf. He went back and wrapped one for me and told me they don't bother to put it out because no-one buys them. It is one of the cheaper cuts of beef roast, but made right it is really good. I will definitely pick up another one. English Cut Chuck roasts are about $5.49 and I don't like the grizzle ribbon down the center of those. At $4.50 a pound, this eye of round was a steal.
I will pull the pork sirloin roast apart and mix with my Cherry Bourban BBQ sauce for pork sandwiches later this week.
I like "3-for the work of one" suppers.

Last night I made Roast beef (Eye of Round) with pototoes, carrots & onions. As a bonus, I threw in a Pork sirloin roast - my Dad's trick for getting a good gravy base since the eye of round is so lean. It was fantastic - cooked to a perfect Medium (pink and juicy in the center).
DH does not really like Pot roast, so when I said I was making Beef Roast he said "I might make something for myself" I said that's fine. Well, he really liked it and said it is a definite keeper/make again recipe.
The leftover beef will be sliced thin and used for French Dip sandwiches. Anything left after that would be turned into Roast Beef Hash - but I'm pretty sure that there won't be any left for hash.
I like the leanness of the Eye of Round Roast, but I had to ask the butcher if they ever carry them because I could never find one on the shelf. He went back and wrapped one for me and told me they don't bother to put it out because no-one buys them. It is one of the cheaper cuts of beef roast, but made right it is really good. I will definitely pick up another one. English Cut Chuck roasts are about $5.49 and I don't like the grizzle ribbon down the center of those. At $4.50 a pound, this eye of round was a steal.
I will pull the pork sirloin roast apart and mix with my Cherry Bourban BBQ sauce for pork sandwiches later this week.
I like "3-for the work of one" suppers.
Eye of round is good as is top round roast. They need to be cooked rare and make wonderful sandwiches the next day

Back
Top Bottom