Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Part 2

Last night I made enchiladas. Tonight thinking about stir fry with noodles and lots of vegies, and I always put sausage in too for flavor.

Last night was cubed steak with milk gravy, ratatouille made from roasted eggplant, zucchini, red onion, roma tomatoes, purple bell pepper and garlic, also, an ear of fresh corn, and hot biscuits made from the new to me Southern Biscuit Formula L biscuit mix that HenThymes told us about on the buttermilk biscuit thread. Yummy!

Last night was chicken stir fry. Hubby is making my favorite right now for breakfast, Eggs Benedict
droolin.gif

Quote:
I wish I could give you an actual recipe, but I usually just wing it when it comes to soup. But, here's the gist of it:

This makes a very large pot of soup because we usually like having leftovers, so adjust as needed.

1 T. oil
1/2 chopped onion
1 clove of garlic
8 cups of chicken broth
2 cans of diced tomatoes with juice (you can substitute one for a can that has some chilies in it - like Rotel or *)
2 cans of beans, drained and rinsed (pinto, kidney, or black or a mixture of any of them)
Spices (usually a few t. of cumin plus some chili powder and some oregano, pepper, whatever you like)
Leftover diced chicken
corn (can also use other veggies as desired)
Leftover rice if you have it
* Salsa (if you haven't used some Rotel tomatoes above or a can of diced green chilies)

Saute the onion and garlic in the oil. Add the chicken broth, tomatoes (salsa if not using a can of Rotel), beans, and spices. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and let simmer for 10 - 15 minutes. Add other ingredients and simmer another 10 - 15 minutes.

Top with any of the following: Tortilla chips, cheese, cilantro, sour cream, diced avocado.

Like I said, I don't really follow an actual recipe. I do a lot of tasting as I go along and sprinkle more spices, add more salsa or chilies, etc. as I'm cooking. The ingredients can vary depending on what I have in my fridge that is needing to be used. I've added green, red, or yellow bell peppers, roasted red peppers, or even chipotle salsa for a different flavor. I've added all kinds of veggies, fresh tomatoes instead of canned, etc. It's pretty flexible, really.

If you try it, let me know what you put in yours. It might give me some ideas for the next time!

Back
Top Bottom