HEY hey! New adopted mom to 8 hens in GA

Welcome! You GET IT!!! And you are in the right place :) I have to say my fave is Chicky Minaj lol but I am partial to Australorps... And also only knew who half of those performers were. šŸ˜¬ Possibly dating myself.

ANYwho! I have heard that "real farmers" do not name their chickens šŸ¤· or perhaps only some of them, so don't feel too bad if they end up with nicknames. I have my first cockerel this season (Marshmallow) and this morning found myself calling him, "Son," and also, "Pup." Lol He doesn't answer to any of them. Although I have heard some chickens will even learn their names! Haha #chickengoals

Have fun exploring BYC! Glad you're here!

Also, regarding feed, you don't have to do what I do, but I literally do not measure. I give them a couple big bowls in the morning, they usually need a top up in the afternoon, and/or I will top up the ducks for a bedtime snack before I put them away for the night. The ducks have no food in their hut, but the chickens also have feeders in their coop, but I think primarily they must be eating in the run. Plus, whatever they get from free range time. I could not tell you how much they eat, I just know when it's time to buy more. Lol. I'm sure there are chicken accountants out there who would be absolutely horrified. Haha

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom