Hey! I'm new and have a question

amjamm

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2020
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I got my first chickens about 6 months ago.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I currently have three chickens

(3) What breeds do you have? When they were sold to us, we were told that they were pekin bantam chooks but I don't believe one of them is because she doesn't have the same feathered feet or fluffy tail feathers that the others have.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I love watching them scratch and peck around the garden, also their cute little eggs.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I love reading and walking my dog.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have another cat and dog.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I found here by just looking up chicken websites to help me.

I just had a quick question for anyone who is still reading (Thank you!). My pekins can get broody quite easily (one is at the moment) and we were thinking that next time one of the chooks goes clucky, we buy some fertilized eggs and pop them under her and she raise them. We live in the suburbs, so we probably wouldn't be able to keep the chicks once they grow up and we would just sell them. I'm concerned that the other hens may pick on/hurt the little chicks. I've heard that having enough room would help them stay safe, we have about 8 square feet inside the chook coop and over about 90 square feet for them outside. They are just little bantams, so they don't take up a lot of room anyway. Does anyone have any advice?
Thank you for reading this

Welcome. :)

When I let a hen hatch I like to set her up in a smaller fenced off area for the first week or two after the hatch in order to give the chicks some time to get some strength so they can keep up with mom, and for the other hens to get used to the chicks before I try combining them.

Welcome. :)

When I let a hen hatch I like to set her up in a smaller fenced off area for the first week or two after the hatch in order to give the chicks some time to get some strength so they can keep up with mom, and for the other hens to get used to the chicks before I try combining them.

Alright, thank you, I might try this. Does your hen with the chicks sleep inside the coop with the others? If so, are they alright at night? If not, where do they sleep at night and how do they stay safe from foxes and stuff if they are outside?

Alright, thank you, I might try this. Does your hen with the chicks sleep inside the coop with the others? If so, are they alright at night? If not, where do they sleep at night and how do they stay safe from foxes and stuff if they are outside?
They should sleep in the coop. Generally the hen will sleep on the floor with the chicks for a few weeks.

They should sleep in the coop. Generally the hen will sleep on the floor with the chicks for a few weeks.

Great, thank you! My coop is one of the ones that is raised off of the ground and has a little ramp for the chooks to get into it. Will mamma hen take her little babies up the ramp? Or will she stay on the floor under it? If she stays under it, there are a lot of foxes here so they will probably get eaten. The nesting box where she's going to hatch the babies will be inside the coop.

I just had a quick question for anyone who is still reading (Thank you!). My pekins can get broody quite easily (one is at the moment) and we were thinking that next time one of the chooks goes clucky, we buy some fertilized eggs and pop them under her and she raise them.
Hens start clucking about a week or two before going actual broody
Just my suggession
Buying eggs when hen goes broody would be better ( or when prebroody hen starts to spend like 4-6 hrs in nest after laying eggs )

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I got my first chickens about 6 months ago.

(3) What breeds do you have? When they were sold to us, we were told that they were pekin bantam chooks but I don't believe one of them is because she doesn't have the same feathered feet or fluffy tail feathers that the others have.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I love watching them scratch and peck around the garden, also their cute little eggs.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I have another cat and dog.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I found here by just looking up chicken websites to help me.

I just had a quick question for anyone who is still reading (Thank you!). My pekins can get broody quite easily (one is at the moment) and we were thinking that next time one of the chooks goes clucky, we buy some fertilized eggs and pop them under her and she raise them. We live in the suburbs, so we probably wouldn't be able to keep the chicks once they grow up and we would just sell them. I'm concerned that the other hens may pick on/hurt the little chicks. I've heard that having enough room would help them stay safe, we have about 8 square feet inside the chook coop and over about 90 square feet for them outside. They are just little bantams, so they don't take up a lot of room anyway. Does anyone have any advice?

Attachments

• 20201109_231642.jpg
    20201109_231642.jpg
    555.6 KB · Views: 1

We have had a hen that hatched out and raised ducklings, and it was fine! And my BW hen raised a Pekin, a blue runner, a khaki Campbell and hatched a runner mix!

Back
Top Bottom