TheEggCollecter

Songster
5 Years
Feb 16, 2014
Massachusettes
Hey everyone!
1f414.png
1f425.png

Thought I would share this new and unusual chicken behavior I have discovered among my chicks. I have five eight week old silkies and frizzles in my quarantine coop straight out of the brooder. Three Silkie pullets, 1 Frizzle pullet, and 1 Frizzle Rooster. Recently I have been doing my best to be around them as much as I can and socialize with them.

So while watching them a couple days ago all the chicks got up to go and eat except for the biggest one the Frizzle Rooster. Guess he wasn't hungry? Anyways a couple seconds later while everyone was eating he let out a little crow or cluck of some sort and one of the little silkies stopped eating, ran over to him, and sat on his feet. He then contently sat there while his feet were warmed. I have seen this happen three times in the past couple of days and today I was ready when I went out the coop and took a picture when he requested a foot warming.

I have never seen this behavior before in my whole experience of keeping chickens. Seems a little odd but after watching many times it's clear all this roo wants is warm feet!

I'm wondering if anybody else has seen behavior like this before? Any input?

(Picture can be seen more clearer by clicking on it)

Last edited:
I know that my roosters don't make their ladies warm their feet for them. I didn't know that they had a cluck for come warm my feet for me.

If, in fact, that's what is taking place, it's one of the most amazing and charming behaviors I've ever heard of!

I would also love to hear if this is limited to just one of the girls responding or if several do it for him.

If, in fact, that's what is taking place, it's one of the most amazing and charming behaviors I've ever heard of!

I would also love to hear if this is limited to just one of the girls responding or if several do it for him.

Yes it is quite amazing, I've never seen it before maybe it's depends on the bird. Maybe some deal with cold feet and my little roo cant stand it!

If you want to know if they all respond to the foot warming request you could take washable markers and put a different color dot on each of the pullets.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom