Hey my lovelies...

RubiaSexy

Chirping
Oct 23, 2021
I'm from NY. New mom to 7 Silkies (10 weeks old). Love my babies to death and need to find a way to be able to keep them in my apartment. I know it's not going to be easy but where there's a will there's a way...I need ideas on how to adequately keep them despite of the unusual circumstances. Thanks in advance for the help guys.

Good morning, welcome to BYC.
I assume that you bought straight run, so what will you do when the males begin crowing?
Good luck with your little flock. I hope that you can find a solution that is best for all concerned, including your little flock.
Thank u Janie. So, 3 weeks ago one of them began crowing. As of today, it's just him crowing even though I suspect there are other roos. Curious though why the others are kinda quiet. Adding to the stress is the fact that that one rooster sometimes bullies the others...forcing me to act as the referee. Arrgh.

Hello :welcome

I have only had one too stay inside my home due to being poorly and it's a little messy but managed with cardboard and straw beneath her and changed twice a day.

My next thought will more than likely depend on both the age and the individual chicken. I say this because I have read that some chickens can be taught too use a toilet box. I really can't say if that is true as i have not experimented with this method.

Another one would be nappys or diapers, again I do not know this from experience.

Hopefully someone here may have had success and will be able too guide you through. Good luck. :)

https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/chick...ail twitch,whistle) to reinforce the learning.

I'm from NY. New mom to 7 Silkies (10 weeks old). Love my babies to death and need to find a way to be able to keep them in my apartment. I know it's not going to be easy but where there's a will there's a way...I need ideas on how to adequately keep them despite of the unusual circumstances. Thanks in advance for the help guys.
After reading the link I posted maybe it is possible. Personally I wouldn't keep them where there's carpet.

It's recommended too keep their toilet box in one area and give a treat when they use it.

Hello :welcome

I have only had one too stay inside my home due to being poorly and it's a little messy but managed with cardboard and straw beneath her and changed twice a day.

My next thought will more than likely depend on both the age and the individual chicken. I say this because I have read that some chickens can be taught too use a toilet box. I really can't say if that is true as i have not experimented with this method.

Another one would be nappys or diapers, again I do not know this from experience.

Hopefully someone here may have had success and will be able too guide you through. Good luck. :)

https://www.omlet.co.uk/guide/chickens/about_chickens/can_chickens_be_house_trained/#:~:text=The answer to the house,or shop-bought cat litter.&text=Having spotted this tail twitch,whistle) to reinforce the learning.
It's funny u mention potty training because I had just heard about that and was considering it until I realized that that would be way too much work especially being that I have 2 dogs and 2 quails to tend to. One of the quails blind and the other sick. Ay ay.

Thank u Janie. So, 3 weeks ago one of them began crowing. As of today, it's just him crowing even though I suspect there are other roos. Curious though why the others are kinda quiet. Adding to the stress is the fact that that one rooster sometimes bullies the others...forcing me to act as the referee. Arrgh.
The one crowing is the dominant and the others won't crow, yet, because they haven't worked up the nerve to fight for their place in the pecking order. Fighting may force you to rehome some of the males.
Another concern is how you will keep more than one cockrel without them harming your females.

Back
Top Bottom