Hey there, it is my first time raising chicks. =)

EKemper1

Chirping
May 2, 2015
Florida
My name is Erin, and I just recently became a proud mama to three chicks ( three weeks old) today, got them from a local farm.
I have one Black Sex Link hen (soon to be), and two rambunctious Rhode Island Reds. (Leroy, Chocobo and Lillian, respectively. The name Leroy was originally a joke but she started responding/ looking up when we said it, So we nick named her Lee. XD)

Any ways this is the first time anyone in our immediate family has raised chicks, we have family who are/were farmers.

I would appreciate any tips on raising them, especially for when it is safe to let them out into to cooler temperatures.

Right now I can't sleep, I want to spend more time watching the chicks. They are so cute and hilarious. XD

Hello Erin!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. Oh, I remember well, your chick channel. So much better then anything on TV! But when they are old enough to go outside for the first time, be ready for total cuteness. Mine did this leaf game. One chick will find a leaf and all the other chicks will decide they too want it. That's when the chase starts and they all run after each other, all around the yard. So funny! :lau

Welcome to Backyard chickens Erin, it's very nice to meet you. Hope you will enjoy BYC as much as we do. The Learning Center is a great place to start a chicken education.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join our flock. You have some excellent layers. Black Sex Links are my favorite hens as they are friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. You should get loads of large, brown eggs from that girl. :eek:) Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your chickens.

Hi Erin, welcome to BYC!

As drumstick diva said, the Learning Center is the best place to start for someone new to chickens, there are a lot of very helpful articles there.

It is fun watching them, isn't it? I find it very relaxing to pull up a chair and sit with them while they are outside the coop/run. And I agree with you, a few of ours seem to know their names too. I think chickens are smarter than a lot of people give them credit for.

Glad you are enjoying your new flock and if you have questions, feel free to ask. Nice to have you join us!

Wow, thanks guys! I really enjoy reading your replies, they are warm hearted and informative. I look forward to sharing the experience of raising these chicks with all of you. =)

Back
Top Bottom