Hey there! My name is Shannan

Shannanb74

Chirping
Nov 7, 2020
My 18 month old Mallard is extremely overweight. She has never laid an egg and is constantly eating. Her belly is very fat and squishy but all of a sudden i think i can feel eggs inside her. I have been worrying about her possibly being egg bound but she doesnt show any of the symptoms. We lost her mate since birth on thursday night to a raccoon attack. I don't know what to do. I am afraid that the stress of her loss could make her bound but i did get her a companion today. She seems very happy to have him. He is a 3 month old drake. Any advice? Sorry if my question is like scattered thoughts. These are m y first ducks. We started sitting for them back in may of last year and they were here for a few weeks then went home for a couple months and then came back for me to watch in December and have never left. I love them so much i just pray there is nothing wrong. Thanks

My 18 month old Mallard is extremely overweight. She has never laid an egg and is constantly eating. Her belly is very fat and squishy but all of a sudden i think i can feel eggs inside her. I have been worrying about her possibly being egg bound but she doesnt show any of the symptoms. We lost her mate since birth on thursday night to a raccoon attack. I don't know what to do. I am afraid that the stress of her loss could make her bound but i did get her a companion today. She seems very happy to have him. He is a 3 month old drake. Any advice? Sorry if my question is like scattered thoughts. These are m y first ducks. We started sitting for them back in may of last year and they were here for a few weeks then went home for a couple months and then came back for me to watch in December and have never left. I love them so much i just pray there is nothing wrong. Thanks
:welcome :welcome :welcome

Welcome to the BYC community.

Could we see pictures of your Mallard? Rouens are a very common breed of duck, that looks similar to a mallard, but is much larger in size.

What is she being fed? Does she have access to feed all-day, or do you offer it just a few times?

Here are a few female Rouen's of mine, compared to the one mallard in the other photo on the bottom for reference in their size :

1604800950750.png
1604801032045.png

Last edited:

Could we see pictures of your Mallard? Rouens are a very common breed of duck, that looks similar to a mallard, but is much larger in size.

What is she being fed? Does she have access to feed all-day, or do you offer it just a few times?

Here are a few female Rouen's of mine, compared to the one mallard in the other photo on the bottom for reference in their size :

View attachment 2403343View attachment 2403344
20201107_135743.jpg

View attachment 2403343View attachment 2403344
I am still trying to figure out how to navigate through this BYC. I am not the most computer or tech Savvy. When i started reading about the Rouen it totally sounds like my Mallory. And looks just like her as well. 20201107_135630.jpg 20201107_135743.jpg

Back
Top Bottom