Hey, they're going to figure out this roost eventually, right?

doughouse

Songster
Apr 14, 2020
Boston, MA
So I've got a little flock of five birds: three are 12 weeks old and two are 10 weeks old. When they were in the brooder I built them a little roost to perch on but they mostly slept on the floor in a little cuddle puddle. Fine, I thought, they're young still and the roost is just there if they want to use it. They'd sit on it sometimes during the day but that's it.

We moved them out to the coop when they were 4 and 6 weeks old, and the little roost I made for their brooder moved with them. Still, they slept in the cuddle puddle on the floor. Last weekend I decided to just go ahead and build the roost that would live in the coop with them permanently. It's a 2x4, flat side up, that's about 19 inches off the ground. They've had it a week and still, no interest. They sleep in a cuddle puddle on the ground.

So my question: they'll figure the roost out at some point, right? Or will they just always sleep on the ground until I intervene in some way?

At 10 and 12 weeks old and been in the coop for 6 weeks I’d say they need a lesson since they haven’t figured it out by themselves in that length of time.
Go out tonight and place them on up on the roost. Might take a few nights for them to catch on.
Fortunately we’ve never had an issue with chicks figuring it out on their own after two or three nights.

So I've got a little flock of five birds: three are 12 weeks old and two are 10 weeks old. When they were in the brooder I built them a little roost to perch on but they mostly slept on the floor in a little cuddle puddle. Fine, I thought, they're young still and the roost is just there if they want to use it. They'd sit on it sometimes during the day but that's it.

We moved them out to the coop when they were 4 and 6 weeks old, and the little roost I made for their brooder moved with them. Still, they slept in the cuddle puddle on the floor. Last weekend I decided to just go ahead and build the roost that would live in the coop with them permanently. It's a 2x4, flat side up, that's about 19 inches off the ground. They've had it a week and still, no interest. They sleep in a cuddle puddle on the ground.

So my question: they'll figure the roost out at some point, right? Or will they just always sleep on the ground until I intervene in some way?
I think that my chicks usually figure it out pretty quickly, though I have a tendency to stick them on the perches to see what they think. Sometime when they get their gender-specific feathers in is about usual for me, I think.
Also, I would just like to say that "cuddle puddle" is the best description that I have ever heard for what the little ones look like when sleeping. Cuddle puddle. It just sounds cute.

They should figure it out eventually but if you want to press the issue:

Go out tonight and place them on up on the roost. Might take a few nights for them to catch on.

I know many folks are fine with letting them figure it out on their own schedule but personally I want them roosting as soon as possible, to make for easier clean up.

Mine are 8 weeks old and have been out in the coop since day one. I was just letting them sleep in their little pile until they started sleeping in the nest boxes. Last night I picked them up and o6ut them on the roost after dark. Tonight 2 got up their by themselves but the other 2 needed to be put on. If you feel up to it, you could try placing then on there after dark.

Back
Top Bottom