Hey Ya'll! I'm a long time "chicken tender", but new to BYC. I have a mixed flock of various ages.

Chickmama43

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2023
I live in South Georgia and I have 3 adult hens and 23 chicks from 6 weeks to 4 days old. We hatched the chicks from our hens for the first time this year and wound up with over 90% hatching! I'm having concerns about one of the new babies, though. She seems to be constipated. She's standing up most of the time, and cries almost constantly. I picked her up today and her bottom is distended and hard. She isn't pasty, though. She goes to the side of the brooder and stands there, propped up on the wall. I gave her a small amount of olive oil, and I'm just waiting. Does anyone have any suggestions other than what I have done? I'm worried about her. 😟

Right now they are just on paper towels with some non slip shelf liner on top. I had a problem with the first batch eating shavings, so I wait a week before I put them in now. I haven't given grit to any of them! Should I? I thought that came later when you gave them treats or scraps. I'm new to hatching my own....

Right now they are just on paper towels with some non slip shelf liner on top. I had a problem with the first batch eating shavings, so I wait a week before I put them in now. I haven't given grit to any of them! Should I? I thought that came later when you gave them treats or scraps. I'm new to hatching my own....
It could really be beneficial at any age. Just in case they get a piece of corn that's too big and they can't properly digest it.

Back
Top Bottom