Hey yall im breeding Opal legbar chickens

Yeah but is this a scamm here is the picture I bought it from
IDK if you were getting scammed or not. Honestly I can hardly make any sense out of your posts. Surely not enough to make that call.
Pics do look like birds that resemble Opal legbars. I see legbar features but Idk. The color or lack of it could me a mix of some sort. Idk.

Do u think I’m being scammed here is we’re I bought them from

While it's not a great picture, these do look more or less like Opal Legbars. Opal Legbars ARE a "project variety" but there needs to be more definition as to what stage of the project someone is at. If you cross an Isabella Leghorn to a Cream Legbar, you will be far behind the progress that's been made on the birds in that listing.

I suggest perhaps the best course of action might be to wait and learn and read more about these breeds and varieties before jumping in to breeding them? Knowing the origins and genetics involved is pretty important if you're going to be a breeder. If you just want pretty birds for your flock, though... go for it!

Last edited:
They look like them, from what I can see in the picture, but lots of chicken breeds and mixes look the same. Even so, at the current bid, 30 bucks for 6 eggs isn't too bad even for mixes if you're looking for something like them

While it's not a great picture, these do look like Opal Legbars. Opal Legbars ARE a "project variety" but there needs to be more definition as to what stage of the project someone is at. If you cross an Isabella Leghorn to a Cream Legbar, you will be far behind the progress that's been made on the birds in that listing.

I suggest perhaps the best course of action might be to wait and learn and read more about these breeds and varieties before jumping in to breeding them? Knowing the origins and genetics involved is pretty important if you're going to be a breeder. If you just want pretty birds for your flock, though... go for it!
But I bought them so It’s to late but I can see if they rlly are do you have any other advice

Oh the picture looks like what u describe on the website but I still kinda thinks it’s a scam because I heard from there people it still a project idk why the baby chicks looks like maby she’s the only one

Opal Legbars are still considered a "project" for at least these 3 reasons (and may be more)

1 - they are not yet up to Cream Legbar Club (CLC) SOP (Standards of Perfection - the standards you want your flock to attain to be recognised as that breed)

2 - because they (the breeder) is working on getting to the goal of the above standards

& 3 - working on breeding out the white egg gene (I didn't know there were breeders before Candace W).

Any "variety" or color that isn't yet approved/accepted in the APA is considered a "project variety or breed".

There could be other reasons that you were told it was a "project" as well.

Do u think I’m being scammed here is we’re I bought them from

Part of my confusion in this whole thread is from the OP's original post. I thought that the OP had already gotten chicks, not hatching eggs - that hadn't even arrived yet. Also OP stated that they were told it was a cross - or at least that is how I read the OP's original post.

I've now gone out to Ebay. I am a registered buyer, but have never myself purchased hatching eggs from Ebay. An acquaintance of mine has and got some nice Opal chicks from a different breeder last year. She will have eggs/chicks this year from chicks she hatched and kept (she culled some - as every good breeder should in my opinion). She also got in touch with the seller and let them know what she culled for.

I went to the ad that is up from that seller. I'm personally not impressed by the ONE picture of their Opal Leghorn rooster and hen. The hen, to me, is especially disappointing. I have better looking "mutt" chickens tht lay blue eggs. Maybe I should sell "mutt chicken eggs" for hatching. Could very well be the angle and the distance. There is no description for the breed, no description of how long this breeder has been breeding and producing Opals. No pictures of resulting chicks, that the breeder/seller of the hatching eggs has raised. ANN NO PICTURES OF THE EGGS from the parent birds. When dealing with a blue egg, green egg or dark brown egg laying breeds, I want to see pictures of the eggs that I'm going to be bidding on or purchasing. I'd even like to see eggs that my chicks came from, if I buy chicks. Maybe I'm just weird! That said, I also know that over a season, that each hen's colored eggs will lighten up. This is true of my Ameraucana (lighter blue to begin with), CLBs (nice, but also a lighter blue. By the end of the season - NOVEMBER in 2019 - my CLBs are laying a very pale blue, really more tinted only, egg) and Marans (middle brown, to start & lighter at the end).

From the ONE picture, yes, the parent birds are Opal Legbars. But where did the OP get the information that they were a cross and that they would lay green eggs? Was that personal correspondence between the seller and the OP?

I have trouble with incubating eggs, so I'm not impressed with this ad at all for buying hatching eggs. I don't consider it a scam though. Just not appealing to me from a business/cost standpoint. If I truly wanted these eggs from this seller, I'd be getting in touch for information. And still probably have questions due to them having no info on their sales ad. It's not difficult to post info and pictures (or it didn't used to be). It also says that the current bid for $20.50 is for all 6 hatching eggs - NOT ONE.

So again, I'm confused.

Did the OP order chicks that hadn't arrived yet and paid $30/chick? Did the OP order hatching eggs that again hadn't arrived yet? Was what the OP posted about the cross a misundertanding between the OP and the seller of either chicks or eggs?

Part of my confusion in this whole thread is from the OP's original post. I thought that the OP had already gotten chicks, not hatching eggs - that hadn't even arrived yet. Also OP stated that they were told it was a cross - or at least that is how I read the OP's original post.

I've now gone out to Ebay. I am a registered buyer, but have never myself purchased hatching eggs from Ebay. An acquaintance of mine has and got some nice Opal chicks from a different breeder last year. She will have eggs/chicks this year from chicks she hatched and kept (she culled some - as every good breeder should in my opinion). She also got in touch with the seller and let them know what she culled for.

I went to the ad that is up from that seller. I'm personally not impressed by the ONE picture of their Opal Leghorn rooster and hen. The hen, to me, is especially disappointing. I have better looking "mutt" chickens tht lay blue eggs. Maybe I should sell "mutt chicken eggs" for hatching. Could very well be the angle and the distance. There is no description for the breed, no description of how long this breeder has been breeding and producing Opals. No pictures of resulting chicks, that the breeder/seller of the hatching eggs has raised. ANN NO PICTURES OF THE EGGS from the parent birds. When dealing with a blue egg, green egg or dark brown egg laying breeds, I want to see pictures of the eggs that I'm going to be bidding on or purchasing. I'd even like to see eggs that my chicks came from, if I buy chicks. Maybe I'm just weird! That said, I also know that over a season, that each hen's colored eggs will lighten up. This is true of my Ameraucana (lighter blue to begin with), CLBs (nice, but also a lighter blue. By the end of the season - NOVEMBER in 2019 - my CLBs are laying a very pale blue, really more tinted only, egg) and Marans (middle brown, to start & lighter at the end).

From the ONE picture, yes, the parent birds are Opal Legbars. But where did the OP get the information that they were a cross and that they would lay green eggs? Was that personal correspondence between the seller and the OP?

I have trouble with incubating eggs, so I'm not impressed with this ad at all for buying hatching eggs. I don't consider it a scam though. Just not appealing to me from a business/cost standpoint. If I truly wanted these eggs from this seller, I'd be getting in touch for information. And still probably have questions due to them having no info on their sales ad. It's not difficult to post info and pictures (or it didn't used to be). It also says that the current bid for $20.50 is for all 6 hatching eggs - NOT ONE.

So again, I'm confused.

Did the OP order chicks that hadn't arrived yet and paid $30/chick? Did the OP order hatching eggs that again hadn't arrived yet? Was what the OP posted about the cross a misundertanding between the OP and the seller of either chicks or eggs?
Well I mean the website of owner of eBay described how they looked so... also what dose culled mean and thanks for ur help I’ve gotten Isabelle leghorn hatching eggs and was very surprised they all hatched perfectly so idk maby it’s nit a scam it’s probably a mutt did u also buy there eggs? Is there my info on them I rlly wanna know more :D

Last edited:
Well I mean the website of owner of eBay described how they looked so... also what dose culled mean and thanks for ur help I’ve gotten Isabelle leghorn hatching eggs and was very surprised they all hatched perfectly so idk maby it’s nit a scam it’s probably a mutt did u also buy there eggs? Is there my info on them I rlly wanna know more :D

Hi!

Cull - means to remove the bird from your lines. This can be done by giving it away, selling it for laying eggs only, giving or selling as a pet, or sending it to freezer camp.

Freezer camp - ending the life of a newly hatched chick - can be sold for feeding to reptiles. Ending the life of an older bird - use for feeding to pets, cook and serve to family. I processed 6 CLB roosters that were given to me. I kept the 7th and still have him. The 6 that were done, only dressed out to less than 3#/bird (really tiny for their ages 7-9m) BUT they made AWESOME soup and bone broth. I didn't have to mow the area they grazed all summer. And they provided some entertainment, too.

20180616_203201(1).jpg

I went out to the Seller's page and there is literally nothing on it about the birds. He/they have 3 sales going total. I didn't find an actual website...

Ebay3.jpg

Ebay4.jpg

And his current sale on the Opal Legbar eggs -

Ebay2.jpg

Under description for the eggs for sale -

Ebay1.jpg

and in contrast, here is the link for the other Opal Legbar egg seller. This may have been the seller that my acquaintance bought from, not sure...

6+ Opal Legbar (Lavenders) - Hatching eggs, ...

Besides the pictures, has a nice description and gives a link to their FB page.

Ebay itself is not a scam. You, the buyer, are paying either by auction or as a "pay now" option (I do that one a lot - depending on what I'm buying). The sellers are there. You chose whom you want to buy from. Could there be scammers or un-honest sellers, sure. That's up to you to figure out. Most probably aren't and I'd sure be careful of saying all the sellers are "scammers", because Ebay is pretty good at weeding them out.

It's still a "BUYER BEWARE" situation as any auction is! (Personally, Amazon can be to)

Your Isabella Leghorn chicks hatched already???? Can you please post pics?? I need a chick fix!

Edit to add - my screen shots are really tiny, sorry!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom