LA_BirdGirl

Chirping
Mar 22, 2020
Ringgold, LA
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? No, I got my first chickens around 10 years ago, and I instantly fell in love!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Nearly 30 + a handful in the incubator.

(3) What breeds do you have? Err...mutts? lol This group/flock originally started as all EEs (some turned out to be Olive Eggers, I guess, and when purchased from Tractor Supply, they claimed they were all EEs...even though they don't LOOK like the EEs I've had before). About a year ago, we adopted a beautiful white Silkie roo, a precious black Cochin, a white EE roo (according to previous owner), a Plymouth Rock (I think), and a Leghorn. We adopted them right around the time I decided I wanted to try my hand at breeding, and OMG! the babies we've come out with...I just want to cuddle them all day!!! We bred the Silkie with [whatever kind of] Eggers we have, and I just love how they turned out!

I also have Coturnix Quail that I keep inside for now. They enjoy listening to reggae music (I read it on the internet and decided it was worth a shot! lol) and watching movies with lots of beach scenes...I guess even they dream of relaxing by the sea! :lol:

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? Honestly, just watching them. I suffer from PTSD and a few other things, and my husband says it's amazing how much my spirits have lifted after I've sat with my birds.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I'm an artist, so any kind of art or even crafts, obviously. I love the outdoors...hiking and travel. I'm an avid huntress, and I do quite a bit of yoga.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I'm wife to a Chef turned Wildlife Biologist/Forester (finally using his degree), biological mother to 4, step to two, and grand to two. We have 6 dogs and 4 cats (I previously owned a rescue), and now seeing all these answers in black and white I realize why people think we're so crazy/weird! :lol:

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D I've known about BYC for a while...back when I got my first chickens. I actually came here often for information...it was my main source of information. How did I find out about it? Probably Google...I can't remember. I finally joined because I no longer just have chickens for eggs. My husband swears my babies, I mean, chickens live better than we do, and that if he forced his hand and made me choose between him and my birds, he'd sure miss living here! :lau:lau:lau

Oh wow! Thank y'all! What a nice welcome! I know I saw someone ask about pics and I had intended to put some with the original post but couldn't get them pulled up at the time. Here are a few...
2020-08-25 13.44.24.jpg

These are the originals...some of y'all can be the judge of if they're actually EEs or not, but I've never gotten a blue egg. They only lay green and an almost pink color (both REALLY pretty, but not blue).
2020-10-01 11.55.03.jpg

This is Puffins AKA Pimp AKA "The Daddy". He's sadly no longer with us. They were out free-ranging...stray dogs...he was protecting his girls...I was heartbroken.
2020-12-06 07.31.25.jpg

This was Doodle right after she hatched. She was one of the first, and I took the job of Mother Hen very literally. Wyatt, my husband, woke up in the middle of the night to find me asleep in the guest room. With Doodle. Because obviously, she needed Mama...lol
And these are all of the babies now. They're all (almost) grown-up and the cutest things ever!
first_freerange.jpg
Primrose_he.him.jpg
sittin_pretty.jpg
the_reds.jpg

Back
Top Bottom