Hi all! New to BYC and chickens in general

sparky00

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2018
Near Lawrence, Kansas
New here and thinking - well have pretty much decided - to get chickens. Here's the answers to the into questions :)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Very new. Looking to build coop (brooder) and order some soon!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Zero - will be getting about 8-12 maybe.

(3) What breeds do you have? Open to suggestions, but looking to get Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons and the wife wants some Polish for the looks.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? A few. One is for the fresh eggs, two for the kiddo (who is 23 months old) who loves chickens and goats, another for the free ranging in the vineyard - both fertilizer and pest removal. Another reason was for meat, but I am thinking that won't happen now (would be interested to hear from those who have dual purpose though).

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? hobbies have been limited with the young one.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. Live on about 10 acres, we have one daughter, a small indoor dog and an old garage cat. Wife is a nurse and I am an electrician by trade.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D stumbled across the site a year or two ago when I was first thinking of raising chickens. I have looked at a lot of coops and such on here and now wife has agreed to the chickens if I can build the coop cheap with recycled materials from around the house or from friends.

Sounds like you are about to begin a great adventure -- with your toddler and your chickens growing up together. And, I think Wyandottes and Orps are great beginner birds -- although my Buff Orp tends to be a bit bossy, it might be because she hangs out with (and lords over) a pair of Salmon Faverolles who are the most mellow, docile chickens I have ever met.

Welcome to the BYC community and good luck with your coop-building and your chick-raising!!

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Polish's have poor meat quality and are not good egg producers but have an ornamental, stunning look! Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do

Hello and welcome to BYC. You may find that guineas are better pest controllers than chickens, but there's no reason not to give chickens a go :)

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archives

This is a useful link of BYC guides to take a look at announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3 I’d suggest including your location using the guide in that link, if you have not already done so. You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Egg Basket.jpg

I love your introduction!

It is great that you will be raising you daughter with chickens

Back
Top Bottom