Hi all!

Thechickenchick2

Songster
Mar 15, 2018
Rhode Island
Hey everyone!

Brand new to BYC but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve referred to this website since we got our chicks back in September!

We currently have 6 red sex link hens and 6 black sex link pullets!
I am currently looking for 6-10 more chicks to get and was curious what breed everyone reccomends most? I would also love to have 1 rooster at some point and wasn’t sure the best breed for the roo?

My girls now are/will be great layers so I’m not too worried about egg production but I’d love some color in my eggs and to have a few broody hens as well!

Thanks again to all that have unknowingly helped me raise my flock up to this point and I’m happy to join!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard to BYC family gr8 people tons of information loads of fun enjoy shake your tail feathers
two-funny-chickens-for-decoration-game-model_FF_Model_ID5345_1_pileCF1JPG.jpg

Silkies and/or Cochins for broody mamas. Olive eggers, Marans, Easter Eggers for some color.

Do you know you can't make a hen go broody? It's a hormonal thing and either they do or they don't.

Yes! That I did know.. I just know that there are breeds that are certainly more prone to going broody and I was looking to get a few with hopes at least one or two would be broody. I wasn’t sure if anyone had preferences on their mama hens (silkies vs Cochins etc)

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom