Hi all!

Thechickenchick2

Songster
Mar 15, 2018
Rhode Island
Hey everyone!

Brand new to BYC but I can’t tell you how many times I’ve referred to this website since we got our chicks back in September!

We currently have 6 red sex link hens and 6 black sex link pullets!
I am currently looking for 6-10 more chicks to get and was curious what breed everyone reccomends most? I would also love to have 1 rooster at some point and wasn’t sure the best breed for the roo?

My girls now are/will be great layers so I’m not too worried about egg production but I’d love some color in my eggs and to have a few broody hens as well!

Thanks again to all that have unknowingly helped me raise my flock up to this point and I’m happy to join!

Pork Pie

Flockwit
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Jan 30, 2015
Last edited:

MrsMistyReal

Addict
6 Years
Aug 6, 2014
Mississippi
Welcome aboard to BYC family gr8 people tons of information loads of fun enjoy shake your tail feathers
two-funny-chickens-for-decoration-game-model_FF_Model_ID5345_1_pileCF1JPG.jpg

Thechickenchick2

Songster
Mar 15, 2018
Rhode Island
Silkies and/or Cochins for broody mamas. Olive eggers, Marans, Easter Eggers for some color.

Do you know you can't make a hen go broody? It's a hormonal thing and either they do or they don't.

Yes! That I did know.. I just know that there are breeds that are certainly more prone to going broody and I was looking to get a few with hopes at least one or two would be broody. I wasn’t sure if anyone had preferences on their mama hens (silkies vs Cochins etc)

Thank you!

Top Bottom