Hi all!

:welcome

Pork Pie Ken has given you some good links to check out. From what I've seen, if you ask 20 people what breed is 'best', you'll get 20 different answers :)

Best of luck to you and thanks for joining us!

Ha! I do expect to get 20 different answers from 20 different people but I’m hoping for maybe 18 different answers from 20 different people and I can then go with the heavier votes!

Thanks so much

:welcomejust look at egg color as far as chicken selection. There four Blue egg layers . I prefer Easter eggers for those . Dark brown Black French Copper Marans are my favorite . they lay the darkest browns . For a dependable layer you have those . Sex Links or Black or Red stars as they are called . Really it's which ones you like after you raise and live with a few chickens . Climate/ purpose and of egg color all have a lot to do with your choice in chicken breeds . I really like to keep my breeds separate . But I also cross breed and breed them back to pure . But still keep my main breeds pure producing pure breeds . I really like the cross breeds for market . I sell all the cross breed roosters . Any mixed pullets I keep I breed them to a pure rooster .Hybrids grow out quicker and are healthier . Since chickens reproduce so fast it's easy to see the results of you cross breeding in a very short time . And from what you said you will need two roosters for the amount of hens you intend to have . Is that 21 answers ? :lau

G’Day from down under Thechickenchick2 :frow Welcome!

As far as broodies are concerned, put me down as a vote for Bantam Cochins [Pekins]; mine spend more time broody than they do actually laying eggs ;) They have been awesome mummas.

I am pleased you have delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom