Hi all

ThaiGai

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 17, 2013
Hello everyone,

My name is Nick, originally from Somerset in the UK but after being a gypsy for many years in the oil industry have settled in NE Thailand on the outskirts of a city called Nakhon Ratchasima.

I started keeping chickens a couple of years ago to keep myself occupied and chasing fond memories of keeping bantams as a kid in the UK. We have a combination of Warren hens (the red egg laying hens they use in the egg farms in Thailand) and a few wild hens and cockerel (similar to what we would call bantams in the UK). There are also the many offspring from the wild cockerel and Warren hens after putting the fertile Warren hen eggs under broody wild hens (bantams).

I started looking at this forum a while ago when we had sick chickens and have found it extremely useful. Recently I managed to identify bumble foot in a couple of hens using this forum and managed to get it cured through surgery at the vets. I had a lot of strange looks as these were probably the first hens he had ever treated - usually its only the pedigree dogs and cats lucky enough to make it to a vet in this country and sick hens would be culled very quickly.

I'm looking forward to learning more through this forum and hopefully can contribute some useful stuff myself. Keeping chickens in Thailand has its own unique challanges, including 40 degree heat and our main predators being snakes (and our own dogs
unfortunately).

That's it for now,

Nick

welcome-byc.gif
you have to deal with some unique(to us) circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom