Hi and help from Austin

drea1014

In the Brooder
Feb 23, 2015
Saturday, we went into a feed store wanting to learn more about chickens and ended up walking out with 3 chicks, food, a food container and water container. We had been discussing the idea for about 6 months. The guy that was helping us told us we didn't need a light to keep them warm. When I questioned it he reassured me that they would be fine. We brought them home and set up their new home. That night while laying in bed I started reading up on them more and realized that yes, they did need a light. Being that it was 10 pm at night my husband and I set a 60 watt light and put blankets around it to keep out the draft. They chirped all night long:( the next morning we went to the store and picked up bedding and a light. By the time we arrived home one of the chicks was in really bad shape. Once we setup the light she seemed to perk up, getting up to eat and drink. Then this morning she had taken another turn for the worse. I called the feed store (who wasn't open on Sunday) to let them know what was going on. The guy said that the Post Office had made a mistake and the chicks had been stuck there an extra day. They didn't know if they would be okay so they kept them an extra night before selling them. I was their 4th caller of the morning (mind you they opened just 20 mins before) to tell them something was wrong with the chick. The guy said everyone else said their chicks were lethargic....Sickly is more like it. I asked what we could do and he suggested putting pedialyte in their water. I then asked if she was to pass could we get another one to which I was told we would have to purchase another one. I have been feeding her water/pedialyte the last few hours from an eye dropper because she is too weak to drink.

To say I am really disappointed in this feed store doesn't even begin to explain it.

Any ideas/suggestions to keep her going?

On a positive note, the other two are doing great.

I would call that stores corporate office and tell them what happened. What a disgrace to sell you baby chicks and say they didn't need light/heat. I wouldn't go to them for anything. Consider it a very depressed mistake and pick up the pieces and go on.I would even suspect the kind of feed they sold you. It should be starter for baby chicks.

You might try getting Polyvisol(NO IRON)infant drops from walmart or drug store. Give her 2 drops 3 x a time. If you use a dropper just put the drops inside the front of her mouth. So if she doesn't want to swallow she can spit them out. You could also put a little sugar in her water to encourage her to drink. Chicks also like finely mashed hard boiled egg folk - with a bit of plain yoqurt to moisten it. The need a draft free brooder with proper heat and a small area to go to if they feel too warm. If the other chicks are climbing over your sick chick, she would do better in a little box maybe in the brooder - where they can't trample her. YOu can give her a small stuffed toy to cuddle with.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with drumstick diva on this. Oatmeal and egg are good treats to try and put the medicine in.

Good luck!

Hello
frow.gif
and Welcome to BYC from Northern Virginia!
woot.gif

Glad to have you join our community! This site has a lot of great information about chickens and other

different poultry. Hope you like it as much as we do!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience with the feed store, and your sick chick!
hugs.gif
I hope she turns out okay.

Thank you everyone for the well wishes and great advice. Unfortunately, our little chick passed away Tuesday morning. We are moving on and starting to build our coop:) again thank you!!

Back
Top Bottom