Hi BYC! from Wonderful Wyoming

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Buckas, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Buckas

Buckas In the Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    I never in a million years thought I would own a duck let alone five, but as fate would have it, here I sit at my computer introducing myself and my flock to fellow feathered friend lovers. My name is Bonnie, I have two kids, three cats, one dog and a very understanding husband. Outta the blue one day I got this idea to get a duck... actually my daughter came up with the idea to get a duck (yes, just one). OK, truth be told, I over heard her praying to Santa about it one night, Christmas was actually over, so essentially what she was doing was asking "why didn't you get me a duck Santa?" She was three at the time and I laughed to myself thinking "oh how cute" What I didn't realize is that she had planted a seed in my brain, a seed that would later grow and sprout feathers, lots and lots of feathers and become my idea!!! By Spring time I had read every duck book I could get my hands on, visited numerous websites and even had my husband on board (not an easy feat). Of coarse by this time one duck had become two and we were anxiously awaiting their arrival to one of our local feed stores. That's when things got crazy, the shipment of ducklings was left overnight at our airport and out of the thirty plus runner ducklings on board not to mention other varieties, all but three had perished. Due to the surviving threes "condition" nobody wanted them, but we did! So, one easily became two, then three and when their adult feathers appeared, it was obvious to us three would need to become five. By the end of fall we had five runner ducks tooling around the yard. Georgette, Cinnamon, Princeton (fawn and white), Dottie, and Francine (blue) Buckas. Buckas is their last name, they don't really answer to their first names but if I call out "Buckas" they run like the wind towards me[​IMG] (kinda like they like me) but then they get close and realize "oh jeez it's a YETI!! [​IMG]and run the other way! I swear I'm not a Yeti but I can't seem to convince them.
    We have had tons of fun raising, watching, and caring for our Buckas. BYC has been quite helpful on our journey, so I would like to say THANK YOU and hopefully I will bring to the table just as much as I have taken.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Welcome to BYC from California wine country in the Western Sierra Foothills! :frow

Ducks are awesome. They're always smiling! Look at their bills - how can you not love them?

Joy in a mud puddle. Joy in a kitchen dishpan full of water! Joy at treats of peas! Joy in the night-time Duck Joke Sessions (ga-yuk, ga-yuk, ga yuk yuk yuk)! Joy in drilling holes in the ground on their way to China.

:love

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Songster 5 Years

Jul 22, 2013
    Kansas
    Welcome to the site! My 4yr old daughter convinced me to get her chicks in April and a few days ago we went to check out the poultry tent at our very small county fair. There she saw ducks......can you guess what she wants now? Lol

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member 8 Years

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] let's hope your daughter doesn't find out about Emus

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Buckas, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Good luck to you and your ducks!

7. liz9910

liz9910 Crowing

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! The way to most animal's heart is through their stomach :)

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Crowing Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: