Hi everyone, introducing myself

Apr 12, 2019
New Zealand
Hi,
I'm Britt from New Zealand. I don't know what to say so will launch into answering these questions!
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
I am brand new to chickens but a total animal lover. I'm actually a cat person who is yet to convince my partner to let me get one, but I've had rabbits and guinea pigs as well as cats before I left home. We first got chickens in November last year, after a funny discussion where I said that I'd love to have free range eggs that I knew were free range, and my partner said we could get chickens. He disagrees with how this conversation went down and says I asked for chickens.

The agreement was that he would pay half the upfront costs but I would take care of them from then on, which is what I have done and I love it.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have three chickens - Lucy, Beth and Nugget. My partner named Nugget. We got them when they were about a day old. They're now 21 weeks.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Brown shavers.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Seeing their ridiculous little personalities and how they've grown. Having them as chicks was magic but a lot of work too! The cuddles and playtime were fantastic and we had great fun. Then through their funny teenage phase where they hated me for a bit. Now they've reached maturity they've realised I'm not the enemy, come up to me and follow me round. I keep them in a large hutch during the day then can let them out during the weekend and evenings when I'm around (we have neighbours who love letting their dogs wander, and even though our property is fenced in, I'd rather not risk it).
(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I play the piano and run, as well as loving to cook and read.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My other pets are some old family cats I left behind at my parents' when I moved out. Three have just turned 17 and one is 15. I absolutely love cats and hope we will get one one day. The last old bunny passed away in February, after a long run of bunnies and guinea pigs. I love my animals endlessly, think about them all day and wonder how I can treat them more.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
I've lurked here a bit since getting our chickens and finally joined to make a post in one of the forums due to one of my girls acting a little odd =( but I look forward to reading and discussing more.

1DD6CAA2-C021-45BC-BDEE-72B987D913A4.gif
Welcome to BYC. It’s a fun place to be.​

Back
Top Bottom