Hi Everyone, my name is Cjpines, a new member from Placerville, CA

cjpines

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Placerville, CA
I'm a new chicken mom and I must say I'm getting Chicken fever--never thought I would love a chicken, but my girls are adorable. Araucana, Australorp, Barred Rock, Buff Orphington and Welsummer. As everyone knows these are the usual breeds they sell at feed stores. They are 8 weeks now.

My husband wanted Cornish Cross for meat birds, that's his gig not mine, but I guess I'll try to eat one.

I'm looking for Bantams older age 6-8 weeks hoping they can be sexed by then. They tell me baby chicks cannot be sexed and you take your chances getting what you want. We don't want roosters.

I've learned a lot from all of you and thank you.

I'm a new chicken mom and I must say I'm getting Chicken fever--never thought I would love a chicken, but my girls are adorable. Araucana, Australorp, Barred Rock, Buff Orphington and Welsummer. As everyone knows these are the usual breeds they sell at feed stores. They are 8 weeks now.

My husband wanted Cornish Cross for meat birds, that's his gig not mine, but I guess I'll try to eat one.

I'm looking for Bantams older age 6-8 weeks hoping they can be sexed by then. They tell me baby chicks cannot be sexed and you take your chances getting what you want. We don't want roosters.

I've learned a lot from all of you and thank you.
welcome-byc.gif
. And believe me everyone here has fallen under chicken or some other birds fever! When I first got my birds I was surprised also by how much I loved having them. My plan was just to have some for eggs and meat but 2 years later they have been joined by peafowl, quail, pheasants, ducks etc. So much for that plan!
Enjoy your birds,
Ella

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, not only are chickens addictive, but they are easy to fall in love with! Have you stopped by our learning center yet here on BYC? Lots of great articles on all the aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I am not sure about the sexing of the Bantams, so maybe someone else that comes here to welcome you to BYC will have this answer.

Enjoy this new adventure you are on and welcome to our flock!

Thank you all for my most joyous welcome.

I have a niece who had 35 chickens for egg selling. After I got my chicks she said I got her going and she bought 5 more chicks.

I was only going to have 6 chickens now I want Bantams. This certainly is chicken fever big time.

I did check out the BYC learning center and I think they said I would have to have 20 postings before I can advertise. So maybe that's why I couldn't get on the want list for Bantams in my area. Your info is much appreciated, thank you.

Yes, you need 20 posts before you can post an ad in the BST forum, you can Welcome new members or post on other threads etc, any posts count towards the total (it says you have 7 right now)... you can check the for sale or re-homing ads and if anyone has birds advertised that you would be interested in, you should be able to respond to their ads now.

Chicks can be sexed but even the experts only get it 94% right. That is why if you want hens only, opt for almost adult birds. That is how I get mine usually. I go to these swap meets that are structured like flee markets and usually find something interesting. I only seek out bantams because I only want them as pets. I will eat their little eggs though for sure. The cornish cross are such lazy birds that they would be no fun to have. That makes their meat soo tender. Not pretty at all, And they would start breaking their leg bones way before they celebrated their 1 year birthday. . If you want cornish cross, go to your grocery and get Tyson's frozen chicken breasts. 7 weeks old and mighty tender. GOOD WISHES WITH YOUR FLOCK
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom