Julia_Bedenbaugh

Chirping
Aug 11, 2019
Schodack, NY
My name is Julia as everything I post has my name on it. LOL
I was raised on a farm and sine I was 9, this is the first time I have decided to try adding chickies to my family. We always had chickens till about the time I turned 9 or 10. By then, we had eaten most of them as my dad was a butcher and he wasn't replacing them. He was approaching 60 by then so I think it just became too much work for him. This past Sunday (August 11th, 2019) I went and bought 6 chicks from TSC. I have 3 Leghorns and 3 Orpingtons. I have another post somewhere about me worrying about how my Orpingtons are treating my Leghorns (not very nicely).
I have started building them a coop, and just need to finish it in about 3-4 weeks. The chicks are going to be about 2 weeks old this weekend. I don't really have many hobbies. I love reading and will devour anything of interest that I find. I use to like to garden but have been extremely unsuccessful since moving back to NY.
My family is big and crazy. I have 3 kids ages 30, 23 and 21 months. I have 2 grandkids ages 8 and almost 3. I have 4 dogs, a Shitzu, Mini-Doxy, mini horse - that's Colby who is 1/2 Lab 1/2 Golden, and a Husky who would very happily eat my chickens without a second thought. Luna is the dog god who rules the roost - so to speak.
I also have 3 cats. A tortoise shell named Riley, and grey longhair named Orion and my baby - a black and white with a cat on his nose named Nyx.
We lead a quiet life, not into drama and other peoples lives.
My dad passed away in 2011 shortly after I moved back up here, my mom passed away in April on my daughters birthday and my closest uncle passed away May 8th, which would have been my dads 92nd birthday. So now its just the 7 of us. I have other family, but none of us are close. The closest would be my cousin Eileen, she 's always been that happy person who wants to be in touch. I had asked her if I could use her name for my baby's middle name, she was ecstatic.
I am also a Disabled Navy Veteran
So, thank you for letting me join. The old farmer girl inside of me is just thrilled to be walking towards having a little farm of her own. Someday I hope to expand and add a couple milking goats, but not yet, that's down the road once I get this chicken thing under control. Goats I know, chickens, not so much.
This is a picture of my coop with my daughter and grandson. They call I their house.

Attachments

• coop.png
    coop.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
fARMER-cONNIE-byc-WELCOME-L.gif
My name is Julia as everything I post has my name on it. LOL
I was raised on a farm and sine I was 9, this is the first time I have decided to try adding chickies to my family. We always had chickens till about the time I turned 9 or 10. By then, we had eaten most of them as my dad was a butcher and he wasn't replacing them. He was approaching 60 by then so I think it just became too much work for him. This past Sunday (August 11th, 2019) I went and bought 6 chicks from TSC. I have 3 Leghorns and 3 Orpingtons. I have another post somewhere about me worrying about how my Orpingtons are treating my Leghorns (not very nicely).
I have started building them a coop, and just need to finish it in about 3-4 weeks. The chicks are going to be about 2 weeks old this weekend. I don't really have many hobbies. I love reading and will devour anything of interest that I find. I use to like to garden but have been extremely unsuccessful since moving back to NY.
My family is big and crazy. I have 3 kids ages 30, 23 and 21 months. I have 2 grandkids ages 8 and almost 3. I have 4 dogs, a Shitzu, Mini-Doxy, mini horse - that's Colby who is 1/2 Lab 1/2 Golden, and a Husky who would very happily eat my chickens without a second thought. Luna is the dog god who rules the roost - so to speak.
I also have 3 cats. A tortoise shell named Riley, and grey longhair named Orion and my baby - a black and white with a cat on his nose named Nyx.
We lead a quiet life, not into drama and other peoples lives.
My dad passed away in 2011 shortly after I moved back up here, my mom passed away in April on my daughters birthday and my closest uncle passed away May 8th, which would have been my dads 92nd birthday. So now its just the 7 of us. I have other family, but none of us are close. The closest would be my cousin Eileen, she 's always been that happy person who wants to be in touch. I had asked her if I could use her name for my baby's middle name, she was ecstatic.
I am also a Disabled Navy Veteran
So, thank you for letting me join. The old farmer girl inside of me is just thrilled to be walking towards having a little farm of her own. Someday I hope to expand and add a couple milking goats, but not yet, that's down the road once I get this chicken thing under control. Goats I know, chickens, not so much.
This is a picture of my coop with my daughter and grandson. They call I their house.

Back
Top Bottom