Hi everyone

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Julia_Bedenbaugh, Aug 13, 2019 at 2:51 PM.

1. Julia_Bedenbaugh

Julia_Bedenbaugh In the Brooder

Aug 11, 2019
    Schodack, NY
    My name is Julia as everything I post has my name on it. LOL
    I was raised on a farm and sine I was 9, this is the first time I have decided to try adding chickies to my family. We always had chickens till about the time I turned 9 or 10. By then, we had eaten most of them as my dad was a butcher and he wasn't replacing them. He was approaching 60 by then so I think it just became too much work for him. This past Sunday (August 11th, 2019) I went and bought 6 chicks from TSC. I have 3 Leghorns and 3 Orpingtons. I have another post somewhere about me worrying about how my Orpingtons are treating my Leghorns (not very nicely).
    I have started building them a coop, and just need to finish it in about 3-4 weeks. The chicks are going to be about 2 weeks old this weekend. I don't really have many hobbies. I love reading and will devour anything of interest that I find. I use to like to garden but have been extremely unsuccessful since moving back to NY.
    My family is big and crazy. I have 3 kids ages 30, 23 and 21 months. I have 2 grandkids ages 8 and almost 3. I have 4 dogs, a Shitzu, Mini-Doxy, mini horse - that's Colby who is 1/2 Lab 1/2 Golden, and a Husky who would very happily eat my chickens without a second thought. Luna is the dog god who rules the roost - so to speak.
    I also have 3 cats. A tortoise shell named Riley, and grey longhair named Orion and my baby - a black and white with a cat on his nose named Nyx.
    We lead a quiet life, not into drama and other peoples lives.
    My dad passed away in 2011 shortly after I moved back up here, my mom passed away in April on my daughters birthday and my closest uncle passed away May 8th, which would have been my dads 92nd birthday. So now its just the 7 of us. I have other family, but none of us are close. The closest would be my cousin Eileen, she 's always been that happy person who wants to be in touch. I had asked her if I could use her name for my baby's middle name, she was ecstatic.
    I am also a Disabled Navy Veteran
    So, thank you for letting me join. The old farmer girl inside of me is just thrilled to be walking towards having a little farm of her own. Someday I hope to expand and add a couple milking goats, but not yet, that's down the road once I get this chicken thing under control. Goats I know, chickens, not so much.
    This is a picture of my coop with my daughter and grandson. They call I their house.

Attached Files:

2. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided yo join our wonderful community :welcome

3. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  5. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
  6. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Songster

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined, those little chicks are gonna be so much fun, hope the kids enjoy them.

7. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Crossing the Road

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! So glad you joined the flock!

8. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie Gallus gallus domesticus Syndrome

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    fARMER-cONNIE-byc-WELCOME-L.gif

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens, the pulse beat of the chicken community. :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy

10. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :welcome Nice to have you here!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: