May 24, 2024
Hi peeps! I raised my first flock of chickens last July, and my girls are just about to turn 1! My mom and I picked up 6 Buff Orpingtons from Tractor Supply. Sadly, one of our baby chicks had Gapeworm and didn’t make it :( We named her Lucky and buried her under our mulberry tree.

As I write this post, our top hen actually passed away today. Her name was Honey and she was not even one year old yet. I’m so devastated. That’s how I found this website! I was here looking for advice on what happened to her. I also follow r/BackYardChickens on Reddit.

Besides my bereavement, I love having chickens. I love waking up in the morning and seeing how excited they are to be let outside. I usually come armed with some treats and I’ve even taught them to respond to “come here!” It’s the cutest thing seeing them running toward you.

They also all know their names. Pearl, Buttercup, Pumpkin, Corny Collins (yes from Hairspray), and Honey (who I tragically lost this morning). I just love their individual personalities, and they are some of the sweetest and emotional birds. I just adore them. Pearl loves to run up to me and be pet, and Corny Collins loves to be handfed. Everything they do brings me so much happiness. Even just their little happy peeps when they’re foraging bring me joy. They love following me around the yard and just hanging out with me when I garden or go for walks. They’re my little ladies.

In two weeks, we’re getting 11 more chickens from Meyer’s Hatchery. 4 Chocolate Orpingtons, 3 Blue Orpingtons, 2 Jubilee Orpingtons, and 2 Porcelin Bearded Belgian D’uccle. I’m so excited!!

My other hobbies are writing, crochet, gardening, making tinctures and homemade remedies from around my property, baking, and singing! I am currently a student at university but I’ve been on a leave of absence to heal from Lyme disease for some time.

Anyways! I’m so excited to be here and to be apart of this community :)

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Nice introduction! So sorry for your losses. :hugs Always heartbreaking when they pass. 💔. Love your birds names, naming them is so much fun!

Make yourself at home here and if you have any questions about anything, be sure to ask.

Welcome to our community!

Hi peeps! I raised my first flock of chickens last July, and my girls are just about to turn 1! My mom and I picked up 6 Buff Orpingtons from Tractor Supply. Sadly, one of our baby chicks had Gapeworm and didn’t make it :( We named her Lucky and buried her under our mulberry tree.

As I write this post, our top hen actually passed away today. Her name was Honey and she was not even one year old yet. I’m so devastated. That’s how I found this website! I was here looking for advice on what happened to her. I also follow r/BackYardChickens on Reddit.

Besides my bereavement, I love having chickens. I love waking up in the morning and seeing how excited they are to be let outside. I usually come armed with some treats and I’ve even taught them to respond to “come here!” It’s the cutest thing seeing them running toward you.

They also all know their names. Pearl, Buttercup, Pumpkin, Corny Collins (yes from Hairspray), and Honey (who I tragically lost this morning). I just love their individual personalities, and they are some of the sweetest and emotional birds. I just adore them. Pearl loves to run up to me and be pet, and Corny Collins loves to be handfed. Everything they do brings me so much happiness. Even just their little happy peeps when they’re foraging bring me joy. They love following me around the yard and just hanging out with me when I garden or go for walks. They’re my little ladies.

In two weeks, we’re getting 11 more chickens from Meyer’s Hatchery. 4 Chocolate Orpingtons, 3 Blue Orpingtons, 2 Jubilee Orpingtons, and 2 Porcelin Bearded Belgian D’uccle. I’m so excited!!

My other hobbies are writing, crochet, gardening, making tinctures and homemade remedies from around my property, baking, and singing! I am currently a student at university but I’ve been on a leave of absence to heal from Lyme disease for some time.

Anyways! I’m so excited to be here and to be apart of this community :)
Welcome. I am so sorry you lost honey. Do you know the cause? You probably want to know before bringing in more chickens. With respect to Lucky. I am sorry for your loss. Gapeworm is very very rare. Did you get a diagnosis from a vet?

Back
Top Bottom