Hi everyone!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mootworm, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Mootworm

Mootworm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Just wanted to say hello to fellow chicken lovers. I've been creeping around the forums for awhile and finally decided to join lol. I've wanted to start a coop since I was 14, and am planning on making the leap next spring :D I'm so excited about it, and am currently researching best beginner breeds. I'm a vegetarian, so not concerned with meat birds. I was thinking 4-5 hens, possibly silkies because they're so darn cute. I'd appreciate any suggestions or "I wish I'd known ... before I got started". So happy I found this site! And thanks in advance for any tips!!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I don't raise chickens so no tips from be but [​IMG]. Howdy from another vegetarian member [​IMG].

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG] Silkies make the perfect first chicken. Buy from a quality breeder and you'll have years of enjoyment.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hi and :welcome

Silkies are a great breed!
    Probably the best thing to remember is, there are many ways to do it - if your plan doesn't work out, there's always another one! We didn't end up using any of the fancy stuff I made before we got our chicks... :lol:

I hope you find all the info you need here, and enjoy the site. :D

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Mootworm

Mootworm Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks for the warm welcome! There's so much great information on this site. I've been perusing pretty much all weekend and planning my future coop like a madwoman lol. Probably driving my family nuts :). Anywho, do you all have any tips for the thrifty chikeneer? I figure I might as well run by my tentative chicken plans. I'm thinking converting an old playhouse/storage shed off of Craigslist for my coop and attaching a run. I'd love to free range, but we have soooo many stray cats in our area(it probably doesn't help that we feed them haha) in addition to our two rambunctious pups. Does that sound feasible? I've also been reading on growing fodder and fermented feed, both if which I'd like to try at some point (depending on how much energy I have lol.) I'm 100% positive I'm getting silkies now:p yay!!! Maybe in addition to a more reliable egg layer. Thanks again guys! I've got a ton more reading to do lol

8. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] There are some great coops on here made with recycled stuff. Eco friendly and cheap [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mootworm, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here - sounds like a great plan you have! Best of luck to you!

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by