Hi everyone

welcome-byc.gif

Thanks guys, they have plenty greens, corn, fruit and layers mash. Plenty space to roam free, no rooster however since I lost one hen to buzzard it seems they are trying to work out who is boss ie pecking order although I have not worked out who it is.
I have put red mite powder everywhere
Today she was not so red I shall keep eye and update
Appreciate any advice on chicken keeping as I am newbie, and love my babies
Thanks for the welcome sorry for waffling

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us! Since you don't have a rooster, then that isn't what is causing the bare spot...if feathers are being pulled out in some way, it has to be because of another hen. Its good that you dusted them, as mites/lice can cause feather loss. The only other thing I can think of is that her diet is deficient in some way; perhaps try increasing the protein in your flock's diet by giving them mealworms, crickets, scrambled eggs, or cat food ever so often. Make sure your layer feed isn't too old, as well--feed can last a long time, but it does lose nutritive content as it gets older. I suppose getting a hen saddle wouldn't hurt, either. Good luck with her!

Last edited:
images

That looks like aggression from the others. If you have a rooster, he can wear a path on the backs of the hens as well. And of course look them over for mites, lice or any bugs as this will cause feather loss as well. Make sure you have plenty of room in the coop and run. It helps to give them something to do when they are in close quarters. You can hang veggies, cabbages or even a pecking seed block will take their minds of each other and give them something else to peck at. Keep them on a good diet that has enough protein. Feather plucking or picking can be caused from the need for protein. You can feed them some cooked ground beef or ground turkey a couple times a week to add more protein to the diet.

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Big 2 on that one
thumbsup.gif

And
welcome-byc.gif
great to have ya here with us
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom