Hi! First Time Chicken Owner from NH :D

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ameraucanaluv98, Mar 23, 2013.

1. ameraucanaluv98

ameraucanaluv98 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    This is my first time owning chickens, well actually, my mom used to have chickens when I was around five or six, but I didn't take care of them and they weren't actually mine so... Anyways, I have been wanting chickens for the past two years now but my mom always said no, but finnally she has allowed for me to get some yaaay! I have been logging all their weight and hours I have been taking care of them.This is because I am a member of FFA and am in Agriculture (I'm a freshman :3). So yay I've been having so much fun just whatching them and picking them up and feeding them and everything! I only have 6 chicks, but am getting 6 Ameraucana chicks in 3 weeks! I have two breeds of chickens.I have now are Bantam chickens and pullets, which means they are a girl right? How can you tell?
    [​IMG]
    This is what I set up. We have horses, and have a left over water trough, so I just put them in here because that's what they were in at Tractor Supply. I put the chicken wire over it so my cat won't jump in lol, and put the boxes they came in in there so they have shelter c: It's my second day owning them, and they are a week old
    [​IMG]
    The lightest Bantam is Ariel and she is over by the feeder, the darkest Bantam is Dutchess, and the other one is Annabelle (or Arnold because it has a big fluffy comb so it might be a rooster?) The smallest Pullet is laying down, thats Twilight (no not because of the movies >..<) the biggest one is Tank, she is also laying down, and the Pullet closest to the feeder and standing up is Trixie. EDIT: I just learned that pullets are female chicks, so I have no clue what the black chicks are then, and I don't even know what Bantams are, if there are different types or somthing! HELP PLEASE! Thank you :3

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  2. White Leghorn

White Leghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2013
    North Carolina
    Hello and [​IMG] from Western NC! PM me with any questions you have!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, ameraucaunaluv98, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! Nice looking set up you have for your chicks! I love the bigger Rubbermaid tubs. Good luck to you!

4. ameraucanaluv98

Mar 23, 2013
    Thank you guys! Can't wait to check out this community more! It looks so helpful :D

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio.....so glad you joined BYC

Your chicks are adorable and your setup is great. Good luck

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Bantams are small breeds of chickens Check out the Learning center above, and there are also forums re: raising chicks etc. It will keep you busy for days. Lots of good stuff.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. ameraucanaluv98

Mar 23, 2013
    Ok thank you for the advice! :D And thank you guys for the warm welcome!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by