Hi from Alberta!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JennyFromTheBawk, Jun 14, 2019.

1. JennyFromTheBawk

JennyFromTheBawk In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2019
    I finally joined Backyard Chickens! I’ve been reading posts for the last year whenever I’ve had a question that needed answering so thank you al for getting me through my first year of chicken keeping!

I got my first 4 hens (ISA Browns) exactly one year ago and since then, my flock has grown to 12 ISA Browns, 2 Orpingtons; lavender and buff x black (unfortunately I lost my blue orp to a fox a couple days ago ), and 2 roosters (a lavender orp and a black orp). I also have 23 chicks , mostly pullers and a handful of Roos ranging from 6-8 weeks old in their teenager coop (light Sussex, barred rock, buff orp, speckled Sussex, Belgian maligne). I guess I could be considered a 2nd gen chicken keeper?? My grandparents kept hens but my parents never did...

My husband wasn’t so sure about us getting chickens but he said to go ahead and now he loves them all just as much as me. We have two little girls (2.5 years and 3.5 months). Our toddler loves the chickens too and always wants to pet them. We live on my old family farm in Central Alberta, Canada where the weather can range from 30 degrees C in the summer to -35 degrees C in the winter. This last winter we had a month that stayed under -25 C (around -13 to -30F) which made first time winter chicken keeping pretty stressful. We must have done something right because we still had more eggs then we could eat and everyone made it through.

I also dabble in gardening, sewing/quilting, knitting, private bartending with the husband and we also have a cover band that we play in (I play bass, he plays guitar and we both do vocals as well).

I work part time as a lab tech at a hospital to fund my farm projects :)

rjohns39, Pork Pie, 007Sean and 6 others like this.
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens. Do you know the Chanticleer breed of chickens originated in Canada, to handle the extreme weather?

3. JennyFromTheBawk

JennyFromTheBawk In the Brooder

Jun 14, 2019
    I have read about them but I can’t find anywhere near me that I could get them from. I will have to keep researching.

rjohns39, Pork Pie, 007Sean and 6 others like this.
  4. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    rjohns39, Pork Pie, 007Sean and 4 others like this.
  5. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us!

rjohns39, Pork Pie, 007Sean and 4 others like this.
  6. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

rjohns39, Pork Pie, 007Sean and 3 others like this.
  7. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Good job getting your flock through their first tough winter.

8. fldiver97

fldiver97 Enabler

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    My Coop
    Welcome :frow Nice to have you here!

9. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy :frow and Welcome to Backyard Chickens.

Happy :ya to have you here with us. Enjoy your time here at BYC!

Thanks for joining our community! :celebrate

10. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello Jenny and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - Canada

Best wishes

Pork Pie

fldiver97, rjohns39 and DobieLover like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: