Hi from australia

Jellyballoo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Oct 13, 2014
Australia
Hi
My partner decided to get me 2 chickens as an early birthday present almost 2 months ago now
We picked out two POL pullets
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we have an ISA brown and a Leghorn
We had built a run for them and a hutch and had resently just started letting them free range in the yard during the day then they go back to their hutch at night and we lock them in till the morning
They started laying about 3-4 weeks after we got them
That was a very exciting moment especially for our 3 yo son
We also just bought them a new larger hutch so we're looking at adding one more chicken :)

Henny Penny (Speckles having a dirt bath)

Speckles

G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Your reddish bird is definitely a Red Sex Link hen, and given where you are was probably marketed under the label, Isa Brown. Isa Brown is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. The resulting offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish). No matter what label they are sold under (Isa Brown, etc.), Red Sex Links are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. Your white bird does is not a pure Leghorn as Leghorns have yellow legs. Also, I think I see some black flecks in her feathering. Given those black flecks and her leg color, I think she's likely an Austra White, or possibly a California White. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thanks for the welcome :)

G'day, and welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Your reddish bird is definitely a Red Sex Link hen, and given where you are was probably marketed under the label, Isa Brown. Isa Brown is one of a number of labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. The resulting offspring can be sexed by color at hatching (male chicks are whitish, female chicks are reddish). No matter what label they are sold under (Isa Brown, etc.), Red Sex Links are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. Your white bird does is not a pure Leghorn as Leghorns have yellow legs. Also, I think I see some black flecks in her feathering. Given those black flecks and her leg color, I think she's likely an Austra White, or possibly a California White. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Thank you that was very helpful!
Yes Speckles has white legs and afew black spots (hence the name :D )
Which made me 2nd guess about being a leghorn or a pure one anyway

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Beautiful birds! I do not know the breeds of either of these birds, but they are pretty!

Make yourself at home here and we do welcome you to our flock!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png

Your white bird doesn't look like a White Leghorn, since she has red earlobes, not white ones (like Leghorns have). Your brown hen is an Isa Brown, though.

Back
Top Bottom