Hi from Berkeley CA!~

Thanks for the advice everyone! My gal or guy Ronnie also acts very roo-ish - squaring off eye to eye with the other roo, and flaring out the neck feathers. Even some jumping fight stuff with the legs. The obvious hen does NOT do that and usually runs away when the roo looks at her funny. That makes me think it's way a cockrel, but I don't know if chickens sometimes do that or have that temperment?

Thanks for the advice everyone! My gal or guy Ronnie also acts very roo-ish - squaring off eye to eye with the other roo, and flaring out the neck feathers. Even some jumping fight stuff with the legs. The obvious hen does NOT do that and usually runs away when the roo looks at her funny. That makes me think it's way a cockrel, but I don't know if chickens sometimes do that or have that temperment?
Young pullets will square off too as they establish the pecking order. You can post some pics in our What Breed and Gender forums just for confirmation... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/what-breed-or-gender-is-this.15/

Back
Top Bottom