Hi from Bristol UK

Kathlewis

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 14, 2013
Hi there, I'm venturing into the world of chicks with 2 Legbars I collected yesterday, that when old enough will join my other Chicken and Duck in the great outdoors. They're 3 days old and I could spend hours watching them. I do have slight concerns over the smaller of the two, Shedoesn't seem able to swallow properly, she tilts her head back but it all seems to come out the side and she is spending all her time by the water feeder trying to get a drink. She also hasn't fluffed up properly after hatching and has lots of stuck down fluff that is slightly krusty. On top of that the other one (when not sleeping) seems to have great pleasure in following her around pecking at her eyes. I will keep an eye on her for a bit longer and if it continues might have to separate them. fingers crossed it will work out.

Welcome to BYC!!!
frow.gif
Glad to have you aboard!!
highfive.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I agree you should separate her from the others. She sounds like she was"shrink wrapped," not enough humidity when she was hatched. That causes membrane to stick to chicks like they were wrapped in plastic. This make hatching a lot more difficult- so she is probably doubly exhausted from doing so. Chicks especially pick on others that seem the least bit different. Has she been eating well? I'm wondering if she could take in liquid by having wetter food instead of drinking. She may do better with solids.

You could try - maybe getting her to eat off a small spoon- finely mashed hard boiled egg, moistened with plain yogurt. If you get her to eat anything off a spoon or your finger tip, get her some Polyvisol (NO iron) pediatric drops. Put a couple drops on her food two or three times a day. If you have some grogel for chicks that would help her also.

In any case please post on the Emergencies, diseases, injuries -cures thread, in as much detail as possible, age, behavior, and any pictures you may have. People with more knowledge monitor that thread so they may be more you can do. Please do keep her warm as any baby chick would be in a brooder - with some room to move away from heat if too hot. A stuffed toy and or mirror can keep her company.

Thank you for your advice, I did manage to get her to eat some of her crumbs which I'd mixed some water into. She seems much better today, I didn't seperate her from the other but I did place a few shiny things in with them (old cd and other bits) which seems to have distracted the other from her and looking at other threads am now using a red heat lamp, so she has had some much needed rest. I also gave her a clean with some warm water and had her snuggled on a hot water bottle til she dried off. She still seems a little wobbly at times but has definitely improved.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom