Hi from Bruce in upstate SC.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Bruceg333, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Bruceg333

Bruceg333 New Egg

Dec 27, 2013
    Anderson, SC
    Hi everyone. I'm getting ready to get my first chickens. I've been lurking for a few months, but only just joined the site.

I plan to have 6 to 8 hens, either RI Reds, Barred Rocks, or a combo of the two. I'm hoping to find some baby chicks locally, but I may have or order some. I just don't want to order the 15 that seems to be required from most places in the cold of winter. I figure if I get the chicks in the next few weeks they can be ready to go outside when the weather starts to warm.

I've got a very simple plastic tote brooder set up awaiting occupants and I've been combing over ideas for coups. There are lots of great examples on this site and I hope to settle on a design in the next couple of weeks so I can start construction

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum - you can then locate your state thread and post on it. You may find people in you local area with the breeds you seek. Then you wouldn't need to have them shipped.

I'm sure SC has much better weather than we do ( Chicago suburb)

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Good luck in establishing your flock.

5. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] to BYC!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays! Good luck with finding chicks, X2 on try your state thread for local chicks. If you do wind up ordering chicks, you might consider a bigger or multiple brooders and getting the 15-25 as sexed pullets, they should be really easy to sell in a few months as started pullets, and in case you lose any as babies you would have replacements there already.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright glad you joined and [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

9. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome to BYC...BTW there are a few mail order sites that only have 3 or 4 chick minimums when the weather is favorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by