Hi from East Tennessee - mom of 4 weeks old Black Australorp

I'm hoping that someone can convince me that Audrey is a girl, but I'm 99.9% certain that he's a boy. This is based on a ridiculous amount of research and follow up on other Australorp posts.

Anybody- please let me know if you think Audrey could possibly be a girl. I've heard that many people end up giving away their "roo" only to find out that it started laying eggs later? If you were one of them, please let me know. I don't want to risk keeping him until he crows, and rather find him a good home for an early adjustment.

Audrey (yes, still Audrey...) now at exactly 6 weeks old.
He is such a handsome big boy... I really hope that I can find him a good home soon.

Look at his beautiful soulful dark eyes.

I've just found a taker for Audrey, but the buyer is in FL and wont' be able to pick him up until mid July. I was grateful to find Audrey a home and was tremendously relieved...for a day...

This morning, I was playing with the birds and fed them some tasty treats, and then when I started walking away from the coop, Audrey started crowing for the first time!!!

The crow was soft and sounded like a bird was dying, but he did it twice and I immediately made a commotion to curtail his behavior. All other birds got freaked out by Audrey's crow and hurled into the coop, and he didn't repeat since. This makes me panic since I have to wait another month before Audrey can be picked up, and I absolutely cannot have a crowing rooster in the neighborhood.

Will he continue with his crowing practice until he can let out his full blown crow, or was this some sort of fluke?
I am incredibly worried!
hit.gif

Last edited:
Well, Audrey continued to practice after the first attempt. Initially, he wasn't too loud, but the volume was definitely improving each day. I had no idea roosters crow at not even 2 months old.
The FL buyer couldn't have Audrey all of sudden, but luckily I was able to find him a home near where I live at a local Chicken swap that I found out about after a panic search. I am incredibly happy I was able to find him a home (with 10 hens all to himself) and I may even get to visit him time to time.

You're poat comes at a great a time for me. I have suspected my only BA is a rooster. But this is completely based on the attitude. Sounds like i could now soon since mine is now 3 weeks old with a very small comb but long tail feathers. :)

Yes you'll know very soon. Besides the spunky and playful personality, I noticed that Audrey also had heftier legs than other girls. Thinking back, I was in such a denial because I really wanted to keep him. I still miss him...

Last edited:
Sounds like you found him a good home though. :) I have four chicks and they're all different breeds. The BA is the biggest but I don't have another one to compare it too. It may be a
couple days older than the other 3 too; it grew feathers faster and in general just seems to be a couple days ahead of everybody else

On the good side, the comb is barely visible and still appears to be very light black and white. if it turns out to be a rooster I will miss this one too! keeping my fingers crossed that he will be a she

Back
Top Bottom