Hi from england

scoobyandbeth

Hatching
May 3, 2016
We have had 5 chickens for over 3 months now and there all starting to lay eggs nearly everyday,the kids love the langhorns(think that's what there called) and the silks are nice to,but one of the slikes has started to stay in the egg box all day and night,is this normal as the other silky has never done this,thanks in advance

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Sounds like your Silkie is broody and for that breed, yes, absolutely normal! Silkies are walking, clucking incubators.

We have had 5 chickens for over 3 months now and there all starting to lay eggs nearly everyday,the kids love the langhorns(think that's what there called) and the silks are nice to,but one of the slikes has started to stay in the egg box all day and night,is this normal as the other silky has never done this,thanks in advance
:welcome your silkie is most likely broody (as is common for that breed)

Do you have a rooster, so her eggs would be fertile and hatch? Otherwise her efforts will be futile. You could get a couple fertile eggs (any breed) and swap them for hers. Silkies are generally the "most popular natural incubators." People often buy them just for that reason.

I've not got a rooster as we have neighbors who work shifts and would not be to happy getter by woke up all time of the day,I've just been in touch with a local chicken farmer and he is gonna try and pop round some fertile eggs,I went and checked on her this morning and she had not moved so I picked her use and she was sat on a egg.bless

Hi and welcome.

What part of England are you in? I'm in the North East (Co. Durham).

As everyone else has said, your Silkie is most likely broody. Does she puff up and growl when you approach the nest or flatten right down?
If you decide to set some fertile eggs under her, make sure to mark them, so that any other eggs that the others might lay into her nest can be easily identified and removed each day other wise you may end up spoiling the hatch and wasting eggs of course.

I'm guessing the others you have are either Leghorns, which lay white eggs or Langshans, which lay pinkish/brown eggs. Leghorns are a bit flighty but have quite cheeky personalities. The Langshans my neighbour had, were terrified of people and were ugly black things that hardly ever laid and they went in the pot in the end, as they had no redeeming features other than that they tasted good! I very much hope you have Leghorns, as they are cute, quirky and fantastic layers.

Good luck with your broody and keep us posted on how she gets on.

Regards

Barbara

Hi Barbara,I'm just out side of Whitby in gods country!

I'm pretty sure I have legshorns as they take food out of my kids hand and very playful one even came into the house!.The silky does growl when I go near her and puffs up too,so she's defo broody

Back
Top Bottom